• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Attic wire dipole bandwidth

joker535

Dec 7, 2011
SE NC
I bought a house a couple of years ago and I have recently decided to get back into working DX. I have a homemade wire dipole that I used to run on a 30' mast that worked great (at the old house with no neighbors to see it). I can't use the mast at the new house (up high and way too much lightning here). I want to deploy the dipole in the attic to keep it from being seen by the neighbors and safe from storms. I do not run a high power radio (less than 30W SSB and clean tune - not clipped) and I have never had RFI issues. I am looking to talk DX only, nothing local. I do stray slightly above and well below the standard CB frequencies but I do not invade the amateur bands. I read a couple of articles about covering multiple bands with an attic dipole in an inverted V. They had the feedpoint at the center and a pair of legs cut to length for each band radiating out from the center and equally spaced from each other (think of a pizza cut into 6 slices). Can I just add 2 more sets of wire cut to the correct lengths for the spread I am looking for and feed it just like the single set or is there more to it?

This is a link to the best article I found about this - http://www.qsl.net/g0kya/multibanddipole.pdf

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

Probably the biggest downside to a multiband dipole of this type is that when you adjust one band, it affects the others. Sometimes tuning can be a pain.

You might Google "Fan Dipole" if you haven't already. That's a more common term for the type you describe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.