• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Audio Equalizers

.... There's a video on Youtube on the Ham Nation channel where Bob Heil explains what you want to be aiming for. ....

Is this what I want or what some other person believes I should want?

When Bob Heil buys a radio and gives it to me I'll take into consideration what he thinks I should want, as long as I'm paying for my equipment I'll make that decision myself.

A little bit of lows might not get out better in DX land but DX isn't what everyone is trying to do.

Is this what I want or what some other person believes I should want?

When Bob Heil buys a radio and gives it to me I'll take into consideration what he thinks I should want, as long as I'm paying for my equipment I'll make that decision myself.

A little bit of lows might not get out better in DX land but DX isn't what everyone is trying to do.
Of course no one's going to give you or anyone else free equipment.
(Although it does happen on occasion.)
The clip is a learning tool. And in my opinion it's an excellent clip that explains a certain aspect of radio communication that is apropos to the times. I remember seeing it for the first time a year or so ago. I enjoyed it immensely and learned tremendously from it.
If someone is interested in essb and the like that video should be required viewing. 73's

The only thing Bob is interested in, is selling his mics
And Exxon wants to sell gas. Yaesu wants to sell transceivers. GM wants to sell cars. Boeing wants to sell Jets etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.
Did you watch the clip?
The clip was informative. What's so difficult In admitting that? I'm going to have to assume you did not watch the clip. 73

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I worked with Bob Heil several times in the '70's. The Who, Peter Framton, Joe Walsh, and Jeff Beck All came through Seattle during that time. Bob once introduced me to Tomlinson (Tom) Holman who developed THX for George Lucas. What Bob brought to classic venues like our Paramount Theater was magic. What he was able to do with acoustically unfriendly sports arenas and otherwise rectangular boxes was technical genius.

I was impressed with Bob as a an approachable and knowledgeable man. I didn't know nearly enough to even begin to absorb what I was hearing and seeing. In later years it all began to make sense.

The only thing Bob is interested in, is selling his mics

I can't even begin to tell you...

...so I won't

Last edited:
I worked with Bob Heil several times in the '70's. The Who, Peter Framton, Joe Walsh, and Jeff Beck All came through Seattle during that time. Bob once introduced me to Tomlinson (Tom) Holman who developed THX for George Lucas. What Bob brought to classic venues like our Paramount Theater was magic. What he was able to do with acoustically unfriendly sports arenas and otherwise rectangular boxes was technical genius.

I was impressed with Bob as a an approachable and knowledgeable man. I didn't know nearly enough to even begin to absorb what I was hearing and seeing. In later years it all began to make sense.

I can't even begin to tell you...

...so I won't
Please share. Many are interested. There's always gonna be hater's.
Most aren't. From the clipse I've seen Bob heil seems to enjoy sharing his knowledge. Of course he wants to sell microphones. That's what companies do. They sell their products. I got the sense that someone was hating because another took knowledge and an idea and turned it into a money making venture. I respect people like that. I have a lot less than others, but others have a lot less than me. And so on and so on. There's no reason to hate! America was built on the idea that anyone within idea and the wherewithal, push, and what it takes to turn that idea into what it takes to feed your family. Once again the only thing I got from that comment was a hater. I do wish you would reconsider, and share a story or two about the early days and the company that Bob Heil built. 73 s

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What works for you might not work for anyone else and versa visa. To many variables between mic, radios, and the operator. I do crack up when I see loads of rack gear for either ham or cb. More junk then a 50kw broadcast station in some cases. Why does everyone want to sound like James Earl Jones??? Or like some canned computer files that sound like darf vatter...whatever....Bob Heil knows his stuff both sales and sound.
Please keep trying to squeeze "HIFI" into my my 16k radio. Why settle for stock sound went you can sound so much better.

Bob Heil isn't the end all of audio, but I use his stuff.

A little low end makes you sound natural but a lot of beginners tend to over do it. Mostly the guys with high pitched voices trying to sound like Barry White that end up sounding muddy or boomy.

When you say widening the bandwidth people automatically think muddy bass. Expending the highs beyond 3khz can add intelligibility. Just be courteous and don't hog up too much bandwidth when the band is crowded.

Space shuttle audio cuts through the noise but if your antenna doesn't suck and you aren't running qrp with poor band conditions it's just fatiguing to listen to. Corntesters, truckers and piss weak dxers can't get enough of it.

No disrespect to Bob Heil intended here. What irks me is the "if you don't do as I prefer you do it wrong" attitude that can be a little too prevalent in the radio hobby, and quoting experts doesn't make it go down any better.

Personally my voice can go pretty deep so I don't sound like myself without some bass, I also understand that I have to be careful how much I let in. But you can't tell me that the fact that too much bass is bad means that no bass at all is the only reasonable option.

It's all a matter of what you are trying to accomplish with your station.

What works for you might not work for anyone else and versa visa. To many variables between mic, radios, and the operator. I do crack up when I see loads of rack gear for either ham or cb. More junk then a 50kw broadcast station in some cases. Why does everyone want to sound like James Earl Jones??? Or like some canned computer files that sound like darf vatter...whatever....Bob Heil knows his stuff both sales and sound.
Please keep trying to squeeze "HIFI" into my my 16k radio. Why settle for stock sound went you can sound so much better.

Bob Heil isn't the end all of audio, but I use his stuff.
There are people out there who think needing an Oscope is going over board.
For myself I'm currently happy with my Uniden Madison, fet modded silver eagle for SSB use, and my FS 2340 on AM.
I went through the want to sound like those channel 28 20 khz wide rack gear stacked to the ceiling guys period.
I'm so over it. Hell!n my imax 2000 is only 10' from feed point to ground. And I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I'm looking forward to getting my ftdx 1200. And used along with my Shure sm 58 am hoping to obtain a slightly higher SSB fidelity over my Madison (I'm fairly sure the outcome will be exactly what I'm looking for.) I might be willing to try a different mic (pr40 or the like,) but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
I wanna enjoy the Hobby while sounding as good as I can without loosing my mind.
Many definitely go over board.
I guess it's like most hobbies..
One starts off with lower end gear then hear (or see) what others sound like (or own,) and the "endless possibilities" of what can now be done with a used $125 cb radio transceiver, and go fucking bat shit. It's the "gotta sound like a million dollar radio station DJ phenomenon".
One needs to come to the realization of their own technical limitations (in my case technical, and physical) and enjoy the fucking hobby using what you've got (can afford.)
And that's where I'm at and will be until the end.
It's difficult to enjoy anything when one's focused on bigger, and better. It ceases to become fun, and becomes a job.
That doesn't mean I'm against it or are suggesting thoes who want to grow their knowledge, and station's along with that newly gained knowledge are somehow over doing it because I'm not. To each his own. But when it begins to become an Obsession that keeps you up at night, it might be time to rethink your ideas of what this hobby is about.
Quick story. From what I've gathered there is a severely disabled kid that lives in what I believe to be a antenna restricted wheelchair accessible living facility somewhere in South Jersey. He uses a mag Mount antenna stuck to the end of his bed post, and although only several people in close proximity can hear him he gets on the air, and enjoys it. Now if that's not a lesson on what our hobby could, should, and once was about. I don't know what is. 73's You go bagel!!

There are people out there who think needing an Oscope is going over board.
For myself I'm currently happy with my Uniden Madison, fet modded silver eagle for SSB use, and my FS 2340 on AM.
I went through the want to sound like those channel 28 20 khz wide rack gear stacked to the ceiling guys period.
I'm so over it. Hell!n my imax 2000 is only 10' from feed point to ground. And I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I'm looking forward to getting my ftdx 1200. And used along with my Shure sm 58 am hoping to obtain a slightly higher SSB fidelity over my Madison (I'm fairly sure the outcome will be exactly what I'm looking for.) I might be willing to try a different mic (pr40 or the like,) but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
I wanna enjoy the Hobby while sounding as good as I can without loosing my mind.
Many definitely go over board.
I guess it's like most hobbies..
One starts off with lower end gear then hear (or see) what others sound like (or own,) and the "endless possibilities" of what can now be done with a used $125 cb radio transceiver, and go fucking bat shit. It's the "gotta sound like a million dollar radio station DJ phenomenon".
One needs to come to the realization of their own technical limitations (in my case technical, and physical) and enjoy the fucking hobby using what you've got (can afford.)
And that's where I'm at and will be until the end.
It's difficult to enjoy anything when one's focused on bigger, and better. It ceases to become fun, and becomes a job.
That doesn't mean I'm against it or are suggesting thoes who want to grow their knowledge, and station's along with that newly gained knowledge are somehow over doing it because I'm not. To each his own. But when it begins to become an Obsession that keeps you up at night, it might be time to rethink your ideas of what this hobby is about.
Quick story. From what I've gathered there is a severely disabled kid that lives in what I believe to be a antenna restricted wheelchair accessible living facility somewhere in South Jersey. He uses a mag Mount antenna stuck to the end of his bed post, and although only several people in close proximity can hear him he gets on the air, and enjoys it. Now if that's not a lesson on what our hobby could, should, and once was about. I don't know what is. 73's You go bagel!!
Is his handle Hot Rod by chance. I new a few people on the shore like that. I always tried to help 'em.
It's such an obsession..but thats a whole new tread.

Is his handle Hot Rod by chance. I new a few people on the shore like that. I always tried to help 'em.
It's such an obsession..but thats a whole new tread.
They call him bagel.
I'm not sure he gave himself that handle.
I'm under the impression that it was bestowed on him.

It's all a matter of what you are trying to accomplish with your station.

Well I can only assume that if you have a transmitter connected to an antenna, you're keying a microphone and speaking into it that you want to talk to other people and for them to understand what you're saying.

Anecdotal tale.

I'm in the UK listening to an amateur operator in Japan. There's an Italian station running max power into a massive beam with big booming audio 40+ over to me. The JA station tries for a good few minutes to make out his call, given even I couldn't despite him being 40 over the JA stood no chance. Took me one call with my paltry 100W into a dipole to get the contact from the JA because my audio is set up FOR RADIO COMMUNICATIONS, pretty much how it is described in that Youtube video.

You can have the strongest signal on the band but if your audio is too bass heavy or overdriven people aren't going to be able to understand you.

Another point to consider....filters. Most CB radios, and almost all amateur radios come with stock filters for SSB NARROWER than the expanded bandwidth meaning that even if you open up the radio and transmit 6kHz on SSB all that extra bandwidth won't make it past the internal filters on the receiving radios so it is wasted. The one thing the wider bandwidth will guarantee though is that per watt your signal won't travel as far as it does at the stock 2.7kHz.

Even Bob Heil says the 2 to 4k range adds intelligibility. There can be a benefit to wider bandwidth. He has even said that his hc4 mic is the worst sounding thing he's ever made but that is what contersters and dxers wanted.

Most of us that are into audio beyond 2.7khz talk with like minded people that have the ability to hear well above and below what you consider stock bandwidth. Everyone in my local HF group usually come in at 10 to 20 over s9. The extended bandwidth isn't hurting us and makes for pleasant conversations between friends.

More and more new radios are capable of receiving and transmitting 100 to 4000 hz out if the box so its becoming the new stock. Don't let a few people that failed at wideband audio leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Even Bob Heil says the 2 to 4k range adds intelligibility. There can be a benefit to wider bandwidth. He has even said that his hc4 mic is the worst sounding thing he's ever made but that is what contersters and dxers wanted.

Most of us that are into audio beyond 2.7khz talk with like minded people that have the ability to hear well above and below what you consider stock bandwidth. Everyone in my local HF group usually come in at 10 to 20 over s9. The extended bandwidth isn't hurting us and makes for pleasant conversations between friends.

More and more new radios are capable of receiving and transmitting 100 to 4000 hz out if the box so its becoming the new stock. Don't let a few people that failed at wideband audio leave a sour taste in your mouth.
Thats exactly it. People like wideband, they fail at wideband, they go back to stock and complain about wideband operators.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.