• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Auto HF Tuners

THP makes a REALLY nice one, HC1.5 KAT............ $$$$

also, read the fine print. many tuners will post a wattage figure that is the INPUT wattage (like antennas used to be rated, on the rigs input power).

an MFJ (and others) tuner rated @ 3kw is really good for about 1.5k

I have auto-tuners buiolt into radios but that's the only direct experience I've got with them. I've seen a couple that do work well, that particular brand has already been mentioned.
Don't rule-out a manual tuner! It take a little while to figure out how to use one, sure. But most manual tuners are more capable than automatic tuners (unless you spend a small fortune). I've used a huge number of manual tuners over the years and have found one that works just dandy for me. I've used it to 'tune' some really outrageous 'antennas'. The best advice I can give for either manual or auto tuners is get one that will do more than you think you will ever be capable of doing. Basically, 2 or 3 times your highest estimated projected power output. That translates into a bigger 'box' than you may count on, but that's what's needed to hold the components of the 'bigger' sizes.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks to all for your response. I should have mentioned that it will be for an end fed long wire, which is basically what the AH-3 and AH-4 is built for. Will do more research per your information. Tnx agn.

WA7OK

I also have and use the LDG AT-600Pro and it's the easiest autotuner I've used to date. I think it blows the MFJ's out of the water quality wise as well. I haven't use a Palstar but they have have great rep with hams.

MFJ makes a couple: MFJ-994B, and the MFJ-998

Palstar makes a REALLY nice one, the Palstar-AUTO

LDG Electronics has the AT-600Pro and AT-1000Pro II

That should give you a few to look at.

My Palstar HF Auto came today. Its built like a tank and is heavy. Should be the last tuner I will ever need. The 3 antenna inputs are nice. You can assign each antenna a specific band, which it will recall instantly after Keying. The display is large and easy to read. The menu system is elementary and only takes a few seconds to customize to each antenna. It easily tunes my 80 meter wire. It's pricey, but it just plain works. I purchased it to mate up with my ACOM A1000.

Reactions: fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.