• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Antennas (and that's no lie!)

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
<blockquote>Quote:<hr> "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends,<hr></blockquote>

Emerson Lake and Palmer

lazyneon2.jpg
tube3im.gif

amontheairam8dr.png
</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>add Mother Nature into the mix, and its a crap shoot!<hr></blockquote>

My $29 dollor dipole squishes my neighbor's (5 mile apart) beam in skipland when conditions are right, and he runs more power than me.

Maw nature rules in skip land.

lazyneon2.jpg
tube3im.gif

hater.gif
</p>

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends,

We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..."

I just got off the phone with Herb Blaese. For those of you who have been combing through the patent documents, you will recognize Herb as being the designing engineer for all of Avanti's antennas. I will say that it was an HONOR to speak with him!

He was very friendly and we spoke about the Sigma IV and Astro Plane antennas. I asked him if I could e-mail him specific questions but he asked that we speak on the phone instead, and invited me to call him anytime with questions. I told him I won't wear out my welcome with multiple phone calls.

First, the Sigma IV...

He backed what I said stating that it IS a 1/2 wave radiator with a lower 1/4 wave matching section. He also added that the "cage" allowed for a broader band antenna and helped to pull the signal lobe lower to the horizon. He said, and I quote, this was an excellent antenna for local operation but was beat soundly by the 5/8 wave for skip." This was due to the take-off angle of the 5/8 antenna. He also added, "Having an antenna longer than a 5/8 would be foolish." So...again...while the Sigma IV is PHYSICALLY 3/4 wave long, it is electrically a 1/2 wave antenna. And to think that some of you doubt me.

Astro Plane...

His words, "The Astro Plane is basically a 1/2 wave antenna." He told me an independant company performed tests on this antenna with some unusual results. He wasn't prepared to go into any detail but said that it worked real well...for a 1/2 wave antenna.

He seemed to favor the 1/2 wave antenna designs due to the efficeincy of the 1/2 wave radiator, but included a 5/8 wave antenna because you had to, to be in the CB antenna market.

What I gathered from our phone conversation is that the Sigma 5/8 was the best all-around performer of the Avanti line (omnis). This confirms what I have said and experienced in the past and still firmly believe.

As we all know, different set ups yield different results. What works good at your place may not necessarily work well for me. That does not mean you or I are wrong. This is the advantage of comparing antennas over an ISOTROPIC.

While basically a fictional antenna (isotropic), it does level the playing field by comparing antennas in the same...exact...free space. The only bump in the road is if an antenna is designed to work with the earth, and is compromised by removing the earth from the equation (like ground mounted verticals). What makes a good radiator in free space may not make a good radiator over ground.

The "ground plane" antenna is supposed to remove the earth from the equation. It provides it own ground plane, independant from the earth. It is written that once an antenna is above 1/2 wave and utilizes a integral ground plane, the earth has little effect on the operation of that antenna. So, comparing two ground plane antennas in free space (against an isotropic) would yield consistant results.

I won't debate you on what Herb had to say, just as he can't comment about the many knock-off antennas that are based on his designs. I will say that being validated by the original engineer sure made my Monday though!

I don't profess to know it all and am learning more and more everyday. I will also choose to treat everyone one of you with the utmost respect; leaving the rude comments to the other free speaking people on this board. We can bounce ideas off eachother and share experiences, but please keep it respectful. We don't have to agree to get along! This board has already lost a few good people due to the rants of the otherwise, ill-informed. I'd hate to see it happen again.

Herb is willing to field questions about his designs. He can't and won't comment on other designs. I am willing to forward those to him, but expect a delay on getting an answer as he is busy with work and family.

As a side note, the end fed 1/2 wave antenna is on the air and working great! It's no 5/8 wave, but sure is a performer for the apartment dwellers with antenna restrictions! I'll post more on this after some in-depth testing.

Lastly, and I hesitate to say this, but I would NEVER buy a Coily antenna after I've seen how the owner behaves on this board. Those of you who participate here with class are commended! Jay, Kale, Justin, Woody, and others (you know who you are)...THANK YOU!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.