1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Avanti Astro Beam?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Charlie Brown, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown certifiable

Avanti AV-150 "Astro-Beam"

Never knew of this antenna. Anyone try one?

2. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

No PSM, I have never had one of these, but I have tried to study the design using the instructions. Most reports I've heard from owners suggest that the beam is very effective, but I have no idea what characteristics were consider.

My ideas on this one is that it uses a AstroPlane as a driven element, and that supports my idea that the A/P is a 1/2 wave radiator. If there are any advantages to using this in a beam, the benefits might be the same as I suspect helps the A/P work so well as an 11 meter vertical antenna. This idea has to do with the very large foot print that the A/P antenna design makes. The capture area is not long, but it is very fat...and thus IMO, this may be how it is able to be so short, compared to a yagi styled 1/2 wave element, and work so well. I don't know for sure about the gain, and I don't think that is the advantage realized, but I do think it probably has very good ears, and if so that distinction could be very noticeable working on-air.

In my personal experience using several A/P verticals I tend to see this RX advantage, with only a very slightly less signal than other antennas that are much longer and mounted much higher at the tip. I can't claim this advantage is like a night vs. day difference, but it is detectable in many instances.

I think the AstroBeam is very much like the A/P and the electrical continuity in the assembled antenna needs to be followed exactly to the T for it to work as intended.

derek vincent and dv3jql like this.
  3. suffolk

suffolk Member

I used to run one of these back in the 80`s had as much vertical gain as my moonraker 4 and just as good side and rear rejection too...... if all you needed was vertical it was a super antenna in a small package.......hope this helps you out

4. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

I use one for 1 1/2 yrs or so and it worked rather well. Excellent back door rejection.

5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

They were around a long time ago and worked quite well. The beam version did actually use the Astroplane as the driven element.

6. KomaToast

KomaToast Member

I ran one back in the mid 70's for a while with the boom mounted at 74 feet.
    With 5 watts I could talk to and hear barefoot mobiles 50 miles away while at the same time completely blocking out a loud female on a Browning station that was only 2 miles from me.
    Being it's so short in length it has a very tight null on the back corners that will block out just about anything including your loudest and closest neighbor.
    My Moonraker 4 wont even do that.
    The nice thing about such a small antenna is that it can be mounted on a pole with a small rotor unlike a 4 element dual polarity beam that requires a tower and heavy duty rotor.
    They are a very quiet antenna as they are DC Ground
    I'm surprised there weren't more of them sold back in the day but I think the popularity of the small dual polarity PDL-II for just a few dollars more was more appealing to most at the time.
    Both being small and can be mounted on a pole using the same small rotor the PDL-II won out and I think the name of the PDL-II was a major part of that, sounds more catchy than an Astro-Beam.

I still have a couple of them and have entertained the idea of cophasing and running both of them.
    I bet that will make Marconi's head swim with new ideas about just how to accomplish that.
    I've got a real good idea as to how to do just that.
    Maybe some day when I get ambitious with lots of free time.

Koma

2RT307 and dv3jql like this.
  7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Active Member

This design is a great idea if it works as it should.

Tuning a vertical yagi mounted on a metal mast can be quite frustrating.

8. camaro1

camaro1 Well-Known Member

just spotted one of these across town still up on a tower, looked to be in very nice condition... I may have to stop and ask about it

9. Marconi

Camaro 1, if you decide to get it...keep us posted...

If so, and before you take it apart if you can I have questions.
    Does it use the short coax transformer at the feed point?

What is the length of the top radiator?

10. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

I know Greg, RT2020 used to run one of these and loved it. I have heard all the same happy reports on the Astrobeam... short boomlenth, good forward gain, good rejection, light enought to turn with a TV rotor, etc. I think KomaToast is dead on about price vs. the PDLII being the main reason there weren't a ton of them in the air.

Brett

11. camaro1

im going to stop over there maybe this weekend if I get time,,, I know its not in use for cb anyways,, I would have heard them on it as im only about 5 miles away(straight line). it caught my eye as I never seen one before.

12. Marconi

If it is not for CB, then don't bother with the questions I asked.

Thanks anyway,

13. camaro1

I just meant that they are not using it,, as I would have heard them sometime,,, ill let ya know what I find out about it

14. Marconi

OK. Thanks

15. camaro1

stopped and checked out the astro beam,,,, the guy doesnt use it anymore and doesnt want to get rid of it..