• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Astro Plane (old school)

There is an old man who lives near here, who has an old astroplane on a shed in his yard. It is over grown with vines, but in surprizigly good condition. I knocked on his door not too long ago to ask if I could take it off his hands, as it is not hooked up to anything. Well, he's not ready to part with it yet, but I'm gonna keep trying. Kinda makes me wonder how much more stuff he has inside that big old house.

JPT,

sorry if i mislead you, you do not need to put that wooden insulator in.

i should have said, " 9 feet OR MORE below the hoop".

i used to run an astroplane ( the new version), and my mast was 35 feet long.

you should be fine.

i agree with Marconi (wassup marconi!!!) about the upper vertical radiator making good contact with the vertical leg below it. that is a VERY common problem with the new version.

your upper vertical radiator is insulated from the upper mast mounting bracket right?

good luck to you,
this antenna will always be a conversation piece due to its completely original design.
marconi and i have been involved with numerous discussions regarding this antenna on at least two different forums. LOL
LC

Hey LC! You write the following, "your upper vertical radiator is insulated from the upper mast mounting bracket right?"

I think you will find the upper element of this antenna is in fact directly and electrically connected to the upper mast mounting bracket. There is no insulation at this area even though the device being used looks like an insulator. This is shown as part 24 at level A in the patent. I try to describe this assembly below.

In the newer model AP a device similar to a long nut used with all-thread stock is housed within an assembly attached to one end of the mounting hub. You see this as an insulator. The threaded ends of the bottom and the top elements are screwed into this long nut and are necessarily jammed against a small bolt projecting thru the sides of this nut---which physically secures this unit to the hub bracket. Thus this assembly also makes for a direct electrical connection between all of these parts. I think you will find the top element is not actually insulated from the hub bracket as may be suggested by your comment.

In the original Avanti this area secured the top and bottom elements with the bottom tubing being compressed inside the top tubing in a direct manner, metal to metal inside a split mounting hub assembly. This mounting hub bracket consisted of two parts, a split bracket assembly that bolts together using compression to secure the elements. Results were the same in both cases.

If you are interested in more ideas about the possible thinking at Avanti on the AP project and you have access to the Patent, then look at Patents with numbers 2118496, 2185729, 3104638, that they used. Click on the Pat Num link at the top of page and enter one of these numbers for the reference.

Last edited:
you got me marconi! LOL

i totally forgot about the bolt!

yep, direct contact with the upper mast mounting bracket.

good call.

sorry if i confused anyone, my thinking was flawed.

i have read the patent sheets for the original AP, but it has been a few years now and i have forgotten lots of what i read.

man those patent sheets are cool though!
lots of cool stuff in there.

again, good lookin' out marc,
LC

JPT, your last report on this thread noted that you were having some problems with the SWR on your old AP antenna install and were going to continue to test. Whatever happened in that case?

Did you ever determine if you have an original Avanti or is it a modern day knockoff?

Last edited:
Marconi, I took down this antenna for the time being since, I could not get the swr's down at 11 meters. It is going to my antenna tech for fiture testing, I am certain he will figure it out. For now I am using my 10K and have great luck, JPT.

JPT, your last report on this thread noted that you were having some problems with the SWR on your old AP antenna install and were going to continue to test. Whatever happened in that case?

Did you ever determine if you have an original Avante or is it a modern day knockoff?

You didn't say if you have an original or not, if you know. One way to tell is if the mounting bracket was two plates bolted together with 4 bolts or if the bracket was one piece of metal with an insulator bolted at each end like in the image below.

astroplanehubqt8.jpg

Did you ever OHM check the antenna?

I would be interested to know what you find out.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.