• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Moonraker 4 versus Maco Shooting Star 4

Marconi, Now I have to agree with you because these numbers just don't add up. Good eye to pick up on that. I strongly suspect there is some mistake in these specs because these two antennas cannot have such different lengths and wind loading. I can understand a weight difference but the wind loading is a function of surface area. I'm thinking nearly half of the MR elements would need to be made of wire before the wind load could drop almost in half too.

One other thing I wanted to point out is that many of the antennas Tom at Maco designed have unusually long reflector elements at 222 inches or 18.5 feet. The reflectors are noticeably longer than the original Wilson designs at 216 inches. At first I was sure I'd be able to extract more performance adjusting the reflector length shorter.

After two days with the field strength receiver and attenuators, I'm convinced Tom did a great job! Nothing I could do with the reflector element length could improve forward gain. It would appear he has already put the effort into getting this perfect.

Donald, I think you edited your original post and added some good info to follow up on that I didn't see earlier before the forum change over.

I wanted to respond to this post, and I hope to do that in a day or two maybe. I'm having a problem with my Diabetes right now and I find it hard to concentrate. I too have some old info from Wilson, and if I can I will add that to the model project I want to complete.

Here are my Eznec models for the Moonraker 4 vs. Maco Shooting Star (new model). I added the dimensions if you want to check. Let me know if I've made a mistake. I averaged the tubing element diameters to .60" for the SS, and .50" for the MR'r. I did not add the boom or the mast...that may make a difference. I cannot explain why both companies post their gains with a "db" notation only.

Attachments

• MR\'r 4 vs. Shooting Star.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Could I get you to email me those EZNEC files for the maco shooting star? Thanks.
dnyberg2 at gmail dot com

Ok David. If you just want the reports noted above.

Just open the PDF file above.
Go to the task bar at the top.
Select the printer Icon,and wa-la your printer will do its thing.

Let me know if you want the Eznec files. If so, you will need an Eznec version other than the Demo version.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.