• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

average distance

Joe, i'm not sure what the distants would be simplex,vhf/uhf is all line of site. However i do know using repeaters i can achieve up to 150 miles approximately.From Reno,Nv. i have talked with stations in Sacromento and Vacaville,Cal.
Not bad for an HT only doing 5 watts. I'm sure that a good repeater has alot to do with it,anyway your test and others may vary.
73,Stu

I have talked over 150 miles simplex on 2 meter,

CONDITIONS, CONDITIONS, CONDITIONS

There was a guy in Indianapolis at a hospital on the 7th floor and 2 meter had a band opening and he was talking to us on the Aurora IL repeater, over 150 miles away and he was on a HT with a rubber duckie antenna!!!!!!!!

He wasnt very clear into the repeater but clear enough to give a call sing and have it recognized at both ends of the QSO

same day, we talked to a local driver that drives to Madison WI everyday on the Aurora repeater from Madison using only 5 watts! He runs a Kenwood TS-2000 in his truck so we tried USB and we could talk USB SIMPLEX, he had to bump it to 20 watts BUT IT WORKED!

Now I have bought ALOT of different radios in the past, for mobile I bought the Yaesu 857D, why? I can buy an optional remote mic and control everything from the mic. The radio can be remote mounted for convenience AND you can talk SSB on any band your on, the FM radios are nice but just that FM.

An 857d is running $689 right now, when you get into this radio hobby you will want more, add the cost of the FM only radio then the cost of buy another HF rig multi band and antennas, you will say hmmmmmmm why didnt I buy that 857D ??

Out west here, there are a lot of linked repeater systems. I'm assuming that other places have the same. I can talk all over the state of CA and Nevada on some of these systems using an HT. Pretty cool...

There was a thread not to long ago about 2m/440 mobiles. Check out some of the recommendations in that thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.