• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back at it

kd8oqq

Feb 26, 2011
Last year, I looked at getting myself an HT, but never could decide and so it fell to the wayside. I need to just do it. For the time, this will be my only radio, mostly to listen and learn, but occasional xmit and some ares/races/skywarn stuff. I guess gps/aprs really are not needed. Originally I had ALMOST decided on a Kenwood THF6, but got caught up in paralysis by overanalysis.
One feature I have a question about, dual watch? Good idea? Must have? Looking at a 144/440 minimum

Thanks for any thoughts

For me, dualwatch isn't really necessary if you're getting a dual band HT. However, a lot of people like that feature, so it's really up to you. I used to have a TH-F6a and always liked it. I always wished it was a little tougher, though.

To clarify, dual watch is the radios ability to listen to 2 different freqs at the same time? or to listen to a specific station and scan with the other? Want to make sure I understand that correctly

That listening to two stations at once is the basic idea of 'dual watch'. The ability to scan, and how that scanning is done is sort of brand/model specific, not all the same. I wish I could tell you about the 'TH-F6a', that'd mean I had one. But, I don't. I do have one of the Wouxun's and it serves my purposes just fine. It is NOT the 'end all' of HT's, it's more a 'bare-bones' sort of thing.
Best advice I can think of is to figure out the features you can't live without, and then go from there. That's much easier to say than to do, so good luck!
- 'Doc

If you don't have any other repeaters besides 2 meters locally, then that dual band radio isn't going to be of a huge use. Certainly nice to have though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.