• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

backward swing on watt meter

I guess RollingRadios must be a hack then. I had a radio
and when i hooked it to my setup, it had no swing on a bird
at the local shop. the tech guy told me thats all it do.

Rolling sold me the same radio and it swing! took everything
to an alternator shop and the radio that Rolling did made
the amp meter draw very hard. the original one i had
didnt make it draw any more then when i deadkey.

this is with the amp switched on.

both radios showed the same peak on a dosey meter.

the amp meter doesnt lie.

jjohnson said:
I guess RollingRadios must be a hack then..
.......Seems as if I heard this before on a few a occasions ? Small world this radio stuff can be from time to time. ......Way I look at it ,they all are ! It's just that some are better at it then others . BFD

Bird 43P is a good accurate lab standard. The Bird 43 is a great AVG reading meter. I recommend having them calibrated yearly to maintain the IEEE/ANSI IEC 60051-1/3 standards.

I can't vouch for Rolling Radios so I won't comment either way.

Best thing to look for when hiring a tech is to ask for credentials (schooling) and the # of years experience. Some RF Two-Way techs are very savvy in the field even if they do not have any FCC certs or Electronics Degree(s). Experience usually wins out everytime -- but it also helps to know the ropes.

Ask to see their bench and ask for certificates of calibration of their test equipment. A good shop will have these readily available and will gladly show them to you. It's your money and you have the right to ask these questions and certainly money doesn't grow on trees. Too many times I have seen many folks get taken for a ride. You wouldn't go to a non-licensed doctor for a check-up let alone any surgery would you? Don't you think your radios deserve the same attention?

If the shop owner or tech gets offended by the questions -- walk (or run) away... If they fail to show you these walk away (or find the nearest exit promptly).

Just my opinion.

Very good Mr Gee ....these guys get damned good money for what they do !! weather they work out of there homes/garages/motor homes /shops and what not . I've learned over the years that one can truly get what they pay for as well as paying to much for what they get !! I suppose that would depend on how one would look at it ? .....I personally don't give a ratts ass either way !! Why ? because it really isn't any of my business what somebody else is doing ....my business is in front of me as long as what others are doing isn't effecting my life in one way or the other. I've been listening to the finger pointing for going on 20 years now ...some things never change. )-: Even the guys that do it right or even closer to right are still pointing the fingers at others ...and that's a personal turn off to me !! Humble thy selves already !!!! Your all breaking the God Damned law to begin with !!! Count your blessing and keep the finger pointing to yourselves !! because you got three more of them pointing right back at yourselves every time you do it !! it's like you lost before you ever got started !! You might think you can fool some of the people some of the time but you just can't fool all of the people all of the time. Weather they have a Dosy meter and a dummy load for equipment in there trailers of life ...is beside the point !! if they have happy customers and they seem to come back for more ? that's all that really matters !!! folks with the this is right and that is wrong attitude should simply know it and keep it at that as far as IM concerned when it comes to this business. (oh and I can hear it now !! but there ruining it for everybody else !! BULL$HIT !!! It's the way that one thinks that ruins it for everybody else and themselves)Humble thy selves !! and be content with what you have or go find something else.

Switch Kit said:
Very good Mr Gee ....these guys get damned good money for what they do !! weather they work out of there homes/garages/motor homes /shops and what not . I've learned over the years that one can truly get what they pay for as well as paying to much for what they get !! I suppose that would depend on how one would look at it ? .....I personally don't give a ratts ass either way !! Why ? because it really isn't any of my business what somebody else is doing ....my business is in front of me as long as what others are doing isn't effecting my life in one way or the other. I've been listening to the finger pointing for going on 20 years now ...some things never change. )-: Even the guys that do it right or even closer to right are still pointing the fingers at others ...and that's a personal turn off to me !! Humble thy selves already !!!! Your all breaking the God Damned law to begin with !!! Count your blessing and keep the finger pointing to yourselves !! because you got three more of them pointing right back at yourselves every time you do it !! it's like you lost before you ever got started !! You might think you can fool some of the people some of the time but you just can't fool all of the people all of the time. Weather they have a Dosy meter and a dummy load for equipment in there trailers of life ...is beside the point !! if they have happy customers and they seem to come back for more ? that's all that really matters !!! folks with the this is right and that is wrong attitude should simply know it and keep it at that as far as IM concerned when it comes to this business. (oh and I can hear it now !! but there ruining it for everybody else !! BULL$HIT !!! It's the way that one thinks that ruins it for everybody else and themselves)Humble thy selves !! and be content with what you have or go find something else.

wow, that is a nice big post there. i remember before
they threw you off 1stop (for no good reason), that
almost every post you would jump on anyone asking about
work done to send it to rolling radios and frank. going so far
as to say many many times "I CAN VOUCH FOR ROLLING RADIOS".

he had nothing to do with you getting kicked out.

funny how people change :shock:

if i personally had a good word to say towards anyone it was deserved ,As far as downing people for what they do , that ain't my style, I haven't changed my colors and nor do I plan to for anyone. It's my job in this life to be as fair as I can be to all's concerns.........
(wow, that is a nice big post there. i remember before
they threw you off 1stop (for no good reason), that
almost every post you would jump on anyone asking about
work done to send it to rolling radios and frank. going so far
as to say many many times "I CAN VOUCH FOR ROLLING RADIOS". he had nothing to do with you getting kicked out.
funny how people change
) "I CAN VOUCH FOR ROLLING RADIOS". those are your words JJ .....not mine. (-:)

and as far as 1 Stop goes .....You seem to be trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill of only a good word deserved by others from me .....and as far as IM concern you are right about one thing .....I was kicked off 1 Stop (for no good reason) along with many others before me and after me ......I think many of us have gotten a clue there after the fact ....and as far as Frank or R&R goes .....Frank let me be apart of that site for over a year and I also sold a lot of goodies on that site and yes from time to time I would suggest to newbies that lived clear accross the country or closer to those guys to maybe look into them for work done ......you never ever heard me down them about anything or pump them up as if they were RF God's when it came to there work .....he has moderators that do whatever it is they do for his site ? .....and sticks with them and there decisions weather right or wrong. And as far as R&R goes .....he answered a few of my technical questions a time or two and suggested to another member to buy a radio that I was selling at the time and they did ......no more or less. So I've been reading your non-stop posts since you got here JJ ...... it's almost as if your looking to start something up with your comments ? Why is this dude ? It's understandable that folks can sometimes feel ripped off when being kicked off any site for expressing themselves .....they get over it or will find themselves kicked off other sites as well for carring there hate and discontent around with them from past sites .....This has been a good and fair, well moderated site the 5 months I've been around ..but I also thought the same about 1 Stop ....as a matter of fact I enjoied that site very much and was sorry to have had to leave ,I got a lot of help over there and met some very nice people all over the country. I dont' change my colors for nobody JJ .....I treat others as fair as I can within reason or I just don't go there in the first place ...life is short. After 1 Stop I realize there are no guarantees on how long anybodies stays on any given Forum site .....(unless it's owned by you) I feel you have made an unfair assessment of the Switch Kit there JJ )-: but thank you for giving me something to write about (-: .....your comments around the theards have been a bit harsh dude ....the attitude is there......I wish you the best of luck and hope you will enjoy your stay on the WWRF as I have .......weather you care or not ....there really are no guarantees ....but If I was to have to leave ,it's just nice to know that I didn't have to change my colors for anybody. Peace Switch Kit

Just remember, doctors kill more people than criminals.

People often have two faces.

C2 said:
Just remember, doctors kill more people than criminals.

People often have two faces.

I will give you the satisfaction once and only once C2 to your comment there .....You may well be right ? What would you personally call someone that likes nothing better then to cause trouble for others everytime they get the chance ? Hmmm ? IM done here so go ahead and have your last word if you must ... (-: Peace

The statistic is true and that was a generalized statement. Don't you remember, "Don't ask me about my business and I'll tell you no lies."

?

Oh boy, the last word would give me the satisfaction twice :D

Here is another generalization:

Everyone has an agenda.

C2 said:
The statistic is true and that was a generalized statement. Don't you remember, "Don't ask me about my business and I'll tell you no lies."

?

Oh boy, the last word would give me the satisfaction twice :D

Here is another generalization:

Everyone has an agenda.

ZOMG DRUGS?

Way back up top (BEFORE THE PISSING CONTEST STARTED) back to Justins post... I personally use both peak and avg readings when working on equipment... Along with other equipment Using a good peak meter along witha avg reading meter is the only way that a tech can truly tell if what they are seeing on the PEAK side of the meter is TRUE... Justin is right you will see a negative peak or "DOWNWARD" swing on a bird 43 on avg setting...
Anything can be manipulated though.... Lowering your deadkey to where the bird 43 on avg setting shows a HUGE FORWARD SWING means most of the time that you are well over 100% modulation... On the same token too large of a DOWNWARD swing can mean the same thing... This can be backed up by readings on other test equipment that should be used when properly tuning and working on radios amplifiers...ect ect... For instance... we monitor amaparage draw when we are tunning our amps... This is one of the most important readings to know if what you are seeing on your watt meter is true.. Your watt meter dont know the difference between true watts and MONKEY WATTS....

JJ post makes sence... When he put the RR tuned radio inline and was seeing forward swing rather than the meter standing still or going backwards and a higher amperage draw. OHMS law.... more amparage draw means more WATTS out... Im sure if he would have taken a PEAK reading when compairng the radios he would have seen a increase there as well..

thanks for sticking up for me.

actually what i was trying to point out was that both radios
showed basicaly the same peak output.

but one would not swing on a bird43
and the other would.

the one that swings forward on the bird43 made the
amplifier pull hard looking at the amp meter.

the other radio did not do any more current draw when
modulated.

The power meter is the least significant piece of test equipment I use. I tune nothing by Watts (unless I am tuning for an FCC mandated figure). In other words, I do not look for a certain power level to tell me when it's right or doing what it can do. I use it to tell me what it ended up doing or tell me if there is a problem, in case it's not doing something it should be doing.

I don't know about the drugs, I never asked, so was never lied to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated