• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bad Tech, no cookie!

And I must inject, interject an apology if needed.

Why? My input on a radio that I recently reviewed a video of on SRR and then saw the posted radio work which is in that vid I saw, so if I derailed a thread, I only want to add this...

Murphy's Corollary - "Indefensible Practices"
In Owning a problem or accepting the blame,
The Chain Of Command does not start with who couldn't solve the problem first,
The Chain Of Blame starts as, the last person whom tried to fix it and recedes-backwards from there.

So what I posted, started a ball rolling down this BIG hill, and at the bottom of it was all this stuff...
I'm guilty of identifying the radio...
I'm also guilty of trying to defend a point of blame most people seem to accept that is; if they cannot fix it, then they are to blame...
And even guilty of - deferring the blame based upon a word of the said accused party receiving the blame and therefore hereunder and foregoingly knowing as ... the "stain" on the "plain" stays mainly on his "reign"

Which in light of the reactions in this thread over it - seem to be proof to the above quote...

Therefore I must abstain - before I receive any more "stain" from dealing with trying to clean up a terrible "stain" - let alone identify an uncleansable "stain" from watching said "stain" and recognizing it as the "stain" that came from that "stain"

Gets' a little dirty in here at times...I've got go now and get cleaned (exonerated?) up.
:)

Reactions: Rwb
And I must inject, interject an apology if needed.

Why? My input on a radio that I recently reviewed a video of on SRR and then saw the posted radio work which is in that vid I saw, so if I derailed a thread, I only want to add this...

So what I posted, started a ball rolling down this BIG hill, and at the bottom of it was all this stuff...
I'm guilty of identifying the radio...
I'm also guilty of trying to defend a point of blame most people seem to accept that is; if they cannot fix it, then they are to blame...
And even guilty of - deferring the blame based upon a word of the said accused party receiving the blame and therefore hereunder and foregoingly knowing as ... the "stain" on the "plain" stays mainly on his "reign"

Which in light of the reactions in this thread over it - seem to be proof to the above quote...

Therefore I must abstain - before I receive any more "stain" from dealing with trying to clean up a terrible "stain" - let alone identify an uncleansable "stain" from watching said "stain" and recognizing it as the "stain" that came from that "stain"

Gets' a little dirty in here at times...I've got go now and get cleaned (exonerated?) up.
:)
aww let it roll all is calm with me

Main reason I started the thread was to document the technical "wizardry" that went into this radio. The long bare wire jumper over the bad trace and the failed channel mod being two examples.

Once it was pointed out that this unit was already a YouTube star, I decided to just document what I found to restore it to working condition. You know, since it wasn't economical to repair and all.

So far it's cost me a few hours and $1.87, including tax, in parts.

BTW, since it arrived here I haven't been able to get a sustained squeal out this radio. Since cleaning the controls, I haven't been able to make it even try to squeal.

Now, if anyone has an alignment procedure, and/or the locations where the speaker wires are supposed to attach to the board, would you care to share?

Thanks

Reactions: NZ8N
There are several variants of the Uniden/President Oval Office Push button face panel radios ...

Board number? I'll see if I can locate those speaker terminals for you...

But usually there by the PA/EXT SP. jacks - look for recent work there - oh wait a minute...I think I now know why that radio may have been the Video Star that Killed Radio...Or something like that...

Does it look like a stinger amp was ever in there?

That may have been in there - regards to the trade....

Board number is PC-346 AA.

Doesn't look like there was anything recently done around the PA/EXT SP. jacks. Looks like whoever neglected to clean up their flux did that a long time ago.

I don't see any holes in the bottom cover to indicate a stinger had been mounted, nor any indication one had been mounted to that little chunk of sheet metal that holds the speaker.

Snake radio did up a recent vid wanting to sell off a radio that would only squeal - that was the radio in question.

There's your trace jumper in question - Why so long? Have no clue...

He says he re-capped it but all it did was squeal - and squelch and volume were ineffective.

To give him credit - the issue may have been from the customer dropping off a radio to get it fixed, didn't like the estimate so moved on - he was trying to sell that for $70 on the "bid" off of Youtube - I can't find the reference anymore so it's your baby now...

It may not be work of Snake Radio, but with any used radio you take chances on others works. a customer of his that didn't need the repair or wasn't attached to the radio took something in exchange and instead Tim sold him another and he's trying to recover the exchange cost of discount for parts...
Tim's gotta be the worst. Anyone who a water hose to clean out electrical radio equipment definitely should be questioned as to his abilities. I thought that was established. The guy who repairs my equipment never told me or anyone to my knowledge that he couldn't find, and repair/restore a piece of equipment or issue that equipment is having. Any issue! He has told customer's he won't repair a piece of equipment because its not worth the customers cost or has been so bucthered its beyond saving. If a "tech" says he can't find a issue (any issue) he's a tinkerer and not a technician. There are many more tinkerers then there are technicians. The problem being is that the tinkerers often advertise themselves as technicians. Tim (snake radio customs) is a tinkerer pure and simple. I will admit to knowing less than any one single member on this site, but I know the difference between a technician and a tinkerer of radio equipment. That much I have learned. if one sends a piece of equipment to the guy that fixes my stuff he not only traces down the issue, but repair it 2 spec or better. Never once did he perform a shortcut. Not only on my equipment, but the equipment I've seen him repair on his YouTube Channel. Did I get off subject? I apologize.

President George or Jackson?

Board number is PC-346 AA.

Doesn't look like there was anything recently done around the PA/EXT SP. jacks. Looks like whoever neglected to clean up their flux did that a long time ago.

I don't see any holes in the bottom cover to indicate a stinger had been mounted, nor any indication one had been mounted to that little chunk of sheet metal that holds the speaker.

You wouldn't see it - the "stinger" can be mounted sight unseen in plain sight - so if it looks normal then what OTHER explanation do we have - as to why the wires aren't even hooked up?

Let me give you a backstory as to why I asked that - there is more than one reason - and that is to install a bunch of other stuff that doesn't mean linear - more like stuff to annoy others while driving - toys...

Well, my beef was what my brother wound up getting to him. He used to work as a slipseater in company trucks so he got one of my radios for his work - and one week he's on vacation and comes back to a radio that "looked" like his but sure didn't act like it. He used an external speaker so that worked ok, just his funny stuff didn't.

He had his name spray painted on one of the cover panels so he thought it'd be ok - the guy that came in after him got let go before he got back from vacation - he too had a radio that fit the mount - it was a requirement from the boss in the yard - fit it or don't use it.

The guy was good, simply took the covers off and clipped wires to the echo and other noise toys mounted to the speaker panel they were mounted to and ran - so if you don't see it, and it looks like everything lines up - that saves the story for another time ... An amp board or noise toys would explain the lack of speaker wires. (When brother discovered it, I was pissed, even serial number was same - just empty of his toys - but the other radios speaker was still there - his original didn't - he needed room for all his toys)

Back to Todays' World - I didn't see any RX/TX relay in the vid so I'm presuming the Jackson or even a Lincoln DX(?)- one has low-level modulated era radio due to the face but in real life?

But not to be outdone - most "speaker wire" are silkscreened onto the board by rear panel - you'd have some large 2-watt 33 ohm value resistor by that area with two silkscreen circles. If that is missing, there's a lot more history behind that radio than I realize.

Another hint would be to locate the Audio amp and use it's number to run across a schematic or similar board type for the audio amp output routings follow a unique pattern that identifies the Audio Chip in it.

Then, using that board as the template, you can then locate the output wire off the amp and trace it to where you need to hook up that speaker. Should not be that hard, the EXT SP jack itself is a disconnect on entry switch type for the plug presses down a tang that dis-connects a contact to the internal speaker - so with the rear panel identifying it, you should be able to reconnect the original...

You may have gotten one of several I've dealt with, even with insurance, they're boards that were swiped and re-installed in other radios - it happens and if SS had something on the customer that he wanted the radio for.

I can see where he may have "told a cover story" to hide the fact of switching to another faceplate or even innards to recover a good radio chassis that had a smashed front panel. But, could not fit the wiring all to the front panel because he swapped the wrong wires - he got tired of it and pushed it off...it could have been the customer brought in the radio and it had something Tim wanted out of it, a noise toy, or even an echo board or speech processor - we don't know...(again, a blown regulator? Tells me too many noise toys, ask my brother about that)

Like I said earlier -we can't prove much, but what we do know - is sure does smell like a dead fish...

Glad to know you got it working...

Attachments

• GrantDX.jpg
    GrantDX.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 6
The radio in question is a President Adams. Good tip on hunting from the audio amp and Ext Sp ends, I should be able to find a couple of holes with solder still on the pads that way.

As Homer once said, "D'oh!"

Oh, that would explain the outline - since the vid, you're the only one that has had any experience in buying a radio even remotely attributed to the efforts of Tim. Others have posted to some degree but little "direct" evidence to show his work in action. Some leave more to speculation than direct recognition.

Now that you've identified that chassis - thank you...and forgive me for prying but you are asking questions on a radio that we are not certain is truly what the serial plate or the front panel - truly says it is. So if, to you, this radio - it's real live verbatim part for part verifiable chassis that belongs in there and not with parts from other radios just to keep it alive....

There may be some help for you here..
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/index.htm

One of the many issues I've come across in repairs are the rather ingenious methods customers have used to cover their tricks, and tracks.

Tim, as well as any other technician, work at a level of competence that leaves them with a level or latitude of freedom in which to make something work out of a problematic radio - the problem with this latitude, it adds to complexity of the problem the radio originally had. It can be related to the layers of an onion - peeling away one layer at the time to reveal the true natures of the techs and customers' (note plural - singular possessive) efforts to either modify or obtain a level of performance until they couldn't maintain it and passed it on to someone else.

Last edited:
Tim, as well as any other technician, work at a level of competence that leaves them with a level or latitude of freedom in which to make something work out of a problematic radio - the problem with this latitude, it adds to complexity of the problem the radio originally had. It can be related to the layers of an onion - peeling away one layer at the time to reveal the true natures of the techs and customers' (note plural - singular possessive) efforts to either modify or obtain a level of performance until they couldn't maintain it and passed it on to someone else.

Amazing.
Insight rather than simple name-calling. That is revolutionary thinking in these parts and if you're not careful, Andy, you'll find yourself branded a traitor. Protocol here is to simply call Tim a clown, moron, douche or asshole.

To save bandwidth, I'll post this right on the top...

So, in fewer words, I see your point.

Explanation for the above, below...

Having been in repair, as a job, profession or just to have something to do with my hands while I take care of family matters - I'd rather define the approach as giving credit to those that give me something to do while I wait for the next "Big thing"

There is some truth to the proverb,
"Keep your Friends Close,
And Your Enemies Closer"

If it wasn't for "discovering" Tim, I would not have truly understood the origins of the repairs on the radios I have been repairing a lot of - one particular mod deals with Tim's (or similar) work. Had I not seen his, or known of his, method I would not have been able to become efficient as I have become in repairs and turn around if I had not known his work. A lot of my resources are drained due to the chain of events and failures his mods tend to cause for when they go wrong they go wrong in a big way...at least when it comes of $$$ - both mine and the customer.

In a way, he gives us the "fruits" of his labor by giving us his former customer base and repairing the damage that he has done, both on YT and in person.

It is my hope - to tie this full circle - to restore "faith" If that can be the word used, in CB radio as a viable means of communication - not just for Riff-Raff that we can be labeled as, due to self-promotion- aggrandization of people like "Tim".

Justly - I do not appreciate much of his "down talk" to the customer - and I wish any customer could be "quickly" brought up to speed about their needs of communication and the proper means to do it, thru this forum or anywhere else but there, at his storefront, as a hobby or otherwise - without having firstly to be exposed to the "Circuit Circus" Tim has done. For it places us as having to stand and be judged by customers that lost a lot of $$$ and their time in dealing with that approach he is trademarked as having. They would be better off shopping at Walmart and have a far more enjoyable experience if there was no pressure except to answer a question or two and the customer was not overwhelmed by an experienced sales-clerk that has inexperienced knowledge except for some notes about radios he has currently for sale and what quiky mods can be done to them while the customer waits.

I used to work for companies that competed for your dollar, so in light of what Tim has done to the hobby may excite a sale or two, but in the long run it has hurt us, in hobby and as a long term business, by demonstrating the level of his competence versus the others here in the real world - indirectly or thru direct comparison - has developed a standard (or Stigma) in which we are now judged. Unfairly or not, we are now "compared" and judged by the same person that makes the customer experience what it is thru him, but not by us.

I can only hope the pressures of sales that Tim works so hard on in his Vids, are not permanently damaging to those that simply want a radio to do as they wish - as they see fit - nothing else.

:+> Andy <+:

To save bandwidth, I'll post this right on the top...

So, in fewer words, I see your point.

Explanation for the above, below...

Having been in repair, as a job, profession or just to have something to do with my hands while I take care of family matters - I'd rather define the approach as giving credit to those that give me something to do while I wait for the next "Big thing"

There is some truth to the proverb,
"Keep your Friends Close,
And Your Enemies Closer"

If it wasn't for "discovering" Tim, I would not have truly understood the origins of the repairs on the radios I have been repairing a lot of - one particular mod deals with Tim's (or similar) work. Had I not seen his, or known of his, method I would not have been able to become efficient as I have become in repairs and turn around if I had not known his work. A lot of my resources are drained due to the chain of events and failures his mods tend to cause for when they go wrong they go wrong in a big way...at least when it comes of $$$ - both mine and the customer.

In a way, he gives us the "fruits" of his labor by giving us his former customer base and repairing the damage that he has done, both on YT and in person.

It is my hope - to tie this full circle - to restore "faith" If that can be the word used, in CB radio as a viable means of communication - not just for Riff-Raff that we can be labeled as, due to self-promotion- aggrandization of people like "Tim".

Justly - I do not appreciate much of his "down talk" to the customer - and I wish any customer could be "quickly" brought up to speed about their needs of communication and the proper means to do it, thru this forum or anywhere else but there, at his storefront, as a hobby or otherwise - without having firstly to be exposed to the "Circuit Circus" Tim has done. For it places us as having to stand and be judged by customers that lost a lot of $$$ and their time in dealing with that approach he is trademarked as having. They would be better off shopping at Walmart and have a far more enjoyable experience if there was no pressure except to answer a question or two and the customer was not overwhelmed by an experienced sales-clerk that has inexperienced knowledge except for some notes about radios he has currently for sale and what quiky mods can be done to them while the customer waits.

I used to work for companies that competed for your dollar, so in light of what Tim has done to the hobby may excite a sale or two, but in the long run it has hurt us, in hobby and as a long term business, by demonstrating the level of his competence versus the others here in the real world - indirectly or thru direct comparison - has developed a standard (or Stigma) in which we are now judged. Unfairly or not, we are now "compared" and judged by the same person that makes the customer experience what it is thru him, but not by us.

I can only hope the pressures of sales that Tim works so hard on in his Vids, are not permanently damaging to those that simply want a radio to do as they wish - as they see fit - nothing else.

:+> Andy <+:

Well said. As expected. (y)
Feels good not to be mired down in the muck that is typical of these Tim threads. Now, if we can just stay put.

Last edited:
Oh, that would explain the outline - since the vid, you're the only one that has had any experience in buying a radio even remotely attributed to the efforts of Tim. Others have posted to some degree but little "direct" evidence to show his work in action. Some leave more to speculation than direct recognition.

Thing is, I haven't watched the video beyond the squeal, which I can't reproduce. So something was changed after the video, but I have no idea what and can only speculate by whom.

Now that you've identified that chassis - thank you...and forgive me for prying but you are asking questions on a radio that we are not certain is truly what the serial plate or the front panel - truly says it is. So if, to you, this radio - it's real live verbatim part for part verifiable chassis that belongs in there and not with parts from other radios just to keep it alive....

I can give you the serial number if you want, for verification purposes.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/index.htm

Owner's manual doesn't have much helpful info in it, unfortunately. The schematics are nice, though. I'll probably just have to adapt the alignment procedure from a close relative, like the Cobra 139XLR or another uPD858 chassis.

One of the many issues I've come across in repairs are the rather ingenious methods customers have used to cover their tricks, and tracks.

I can't speak to Tim's level of competence, never having seen it. On this platform, at least, his reputation is like a Cobra 2000 in his backyard.

Hosed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.