• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng Dual Band HT UV-3R

ab4d

May 12, 2011
Anyone own one of these? A couple of guys I know told me about a really cheap Chinese HT that seems to work fairly well. I am always leery about things from China/Taiwan/Korea, but since it was less than $45, it fell into the "I just couldn't help myself" category...LOL

I didn't really need another HT, but I figured it would be good to throw into my work bag just in case I need to use the local repeater.

Anyway, anyone use one of these?

Can one of the mods move this to the HT category, didn't know we had one.

Last edited:

I've had mine for a few months and really like it. As you mention, I bought it to have as a tiny BUR (back up radio). I want to buy another one in yellow as I think that color will stick out in a go bag. Also, the new ones should start rolling in with the FCC approval on them. They are easy to program/use and overall a lot of radio in a small package and for a small price!

They have evolved quite a bit since the first batch out - 12 menus became 18, loud receive volume fixed (not verified), S meter fixed, etc.

Just about everything I know about them is here:

Brick O'Lore: Baofeng UV-3R

Cheers,
Brick

Held one at local hamfest yesterday. I like the look and feel. Reminds me of my Yaesu VX-3.

Some of the more technical (anal) hams have some operational issues with it. Feature pack, cheap. Some come with two antennas, one for each band. Just pick up a cheap dual band antenna and you'll be set.

Ordered one last night. Should see in a week or two.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpeg
    phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 349
Hiya

These are so cool. A member of my Club had one round the neck most nights. I like the camouflaged one;)

For the price, you can not really go wrong.....:wub: Going to get one soon tho.

Is there a AA battery adaptor for them? For the price they would at least make a good radio to throw in the BOB.

Is there a AA battery adaptor for them? For the price they would at least make a good radio to throw in the BOB.

Hiya

On fleabay you can get the brand new battery for arounds, £5 or 6 so about $8 and the car charger, plus the stuff to program it with the PC.

There fab, especially if you loose your BF whilst shopping(y)

In the UK they come straight from the factory in Hong Kong......so cute.:p:

I've been dealing with this Honk Kong firm for over a year. RadioShop888
Decent prices, excellent and speedy service, and they manage to declare the items so they the arrive at your mailbox, without any..."government intervention". ;) :whistle:

BTW - If you think the Baofeng UV3R is cool, check this out... BAOFENG UV-100

I've been dealing with this Honk Kong firm for over a year. RadioShop888
Decent prices, excellent and speedy service, and they manage to declare the items so they the arrive at your mailbox, without any..."government intervention". ;) :whistle:

BTW - If you think the Baofeng UV3R is cool, check this out... BAOFENG UV-100

Great company to deal with. Never a problem.

I think this dude has tight relations with Customs, his items make it to the states faster than other oriental sellers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I bought one, but...

DUAL BAND Antenna for UV-3R
$12.00 total cost, landed at your door.

I just got one of these yesterday. The base of the antenna comes in contact with the raised beveled edge of the LED flashlight. It doesn't want to seat firmly amd squarely. My antenna even had a slight tilt. I took a small needle file and ground the beveled edge of the LED housing. It now fits without issue. I really like this little Baofeng.

It is possible that my radio's SMA connector could be a little off kilter causing it to hit the LED housing???

I'm thinking about getting one of these instead:

Diamond SRH-519 Amateur HT Antennas

Last edited:
I picked up one of these over the course of the weekend. A few dissapointments...

1. The stock antenna is crap; it needs a bigger one. Going to be adding a Comet SMA-24 antenna as a replacement.

2. The instructions could be better written.

3. I don't know about any of you, but my battery compartment door keeps falling off.

Otherwise it seems to be a good little radio. I don't understand what the alert button is for. (sets off a siren when you hold it in) A distress signal in case you get robbed?

Oh...and this radio can pick up your favorite FM stations, so it doubles as a portable radio too. :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.