• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

baofeng GT-3, UV5R, or UV82

Hi guys i use uv5r gt-3 and recently just purchased the new version 82L all three radios are very good performers. The rx from the 5r is very very tinny both on wide and narrow settings. The gt-3 has superb rx sound compared to the 5r thanks to the larger speaker i would imagine.The 82L in my opinion has the best rx and tx audio of the 3 radios i have...yes the 2 ptt's might take some time to get the hang of but thats just one of those thing that takes some time only down side to the gt-3 is finding some software to program it. I use the latest version of CHIRP to program the 5r and 82L to great effect but i can seem to find a compatible gt-3 program so if anyone can share a link to gt-3 software then that would be great...out of the 3 radios i would deffo recommend the 82L...HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

what now CHiRP not ready yet? I just got the GT-3 Mark II version in the mail.

At least it came with a fully charged battery.

It feels good in the hand, a good weight and size. I would like a little bigger screen.

I hate the screen! Every since Arduino and all the blue/white LCD screens. Hate 'em!

The stuff on the display is OK.

The menu is easy to navigate and easy enough to figure out.

Radio seems to work fine. If you want hair splitting analysis, can't do that. It works well enough. I'll need some time playing with it to see now well I like that. What do you want to know?

What is the alarm? That does not broadcast anything, right?

[edit]
the cord for the charger is like 3 feet long. That's a little short for me... The well in the charger is bigger than the radio, but there are two small plastic tabs to hold the radio against the contacts. that's lame. of course one of those tiny plastic nubs is going to break, then you cant charge. at least the battery can be charged by itself on the charger...(until one of those nubs breaks off...)
I bought the bundle. I think the cord on the car adapter is longer than the one on the wallwart. But the car adapter says input of 12-24VDC and output of 12VDC at 1.5A.

Last edited:
I already dumped my new radio on the ground after sweeping my foot along my desk to get up, I caught the short 3 foot cord and ripped everything out of place. The plastic nubs on the charger and battery did not break, so I feel like a dodged a bullet there!

I was tempted to pull the wallwart out of the wall by the cord, but then remembered that our oriental cousins mistook the importance of wire insulation over wire guage when considering current carrying capacity.

I've got a uv5r, well built little radio, as good as any kenwoo/yaesu radio i ever saw build wise, works well, gives 137-174 and 400 - 520 Mhz rx/tx plus 88-108 fm broadcast band, a lot of radio for pennies, i bought mine in uk with sma-so239 adaptor and speaker mike for 37 quid odd, not as cheap as china, but a dealer i can easily deal with should a fault occur and next day delivery,

bought the na771 antenna for about a quid odds from china, makes a small improvement, mostly at low end, like the 3 colour display and you can set seperate colours for rx and tx, all and all a bargain, has ctcsss and 1750 toneburst to open repeaters, at double and 10x legal pmr power and abilty to attach to any antenna not exactly legal to use here, but does the job adequately, i'd buy another without hesitation, great wee radio for the money.

will be interesting to see how it fares on external cushcraft ringo ranger arx 450 once i get that up should be a hell of an improvement over handi antenna,

next thing i buy for it will be extended capacity battery, not that there's anything wrong with supplied one, and spare chargers, batteries are a plenty on e bay.

nice and comfy in hand to use, only improvement i woud have made is a rotary frequency knob instead of up/dn buttons, but thats true of most of them and just a niggle.

Yeah, I liked the channel knob too...

CHiRP seems to work fine with the GT-3

I don't think Chirp supports the GT-3.

The GT-3 2014 does work with Chirp, its just that the GUI on the software hasn't been updated. When importing/exporting select the 5R and it works.

And no...the new GT-3 is not a redressed 5r or 5r+...the radio has new components and firmware, as well as a more robust chassis that makes it more durable.

I just for the 2 I ordered last Thursday today. Now to learn how to use 'em.

The GT-3 2014 does work with Chirp, its just that the GUI on the software hasn't been updated. When importing/exporting select the 5R and it works.

And no...the new GT-3 is not a redressed 5r or 5r+...the radio has new components and firmware, as well as a more robust chassis that makes it more durable.

I just for the 2 I ordered last Thursday today. Now to learn how to use 'em.
The version I have does not so Dan must have updated it. I don't like the look of the gt-3, much prefer the 5r and the B5.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.