• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-3R vs UV-5R differences?

Schlitzy

Nov 1, 2012
Rockville, MD.
Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to this, just got my GMRS license after getting excited about some Moto Talk Abouts I purchased. I'm planning (researching) repeater options for the house and the truck when traveling.

I've come across these Baofeng 3's and 5's but can't find a real comparison between the 2. I just want it for the GMRS channels and Repeater channels and Frequencies.

What exactly is(are) the largest difference between the 2? Just program-ablity with the 5 and and battery capacity?

Any input would be appreciated, THANKS!

PS, the other reason I was interested in these guys is the fact you can swap out the Antenna, which would improve the range, which is also appealing to me with the GMRS line. I don't know much about that either, other that you increase "gain" which I don't know how that is acquired, but will educate myself in that aspect as well lol. Thanks again.

Last edited:

uv5r has dual vfo. it receives on vhf and uhf simultaneously. uv3r is single vfo with split frequency. stock uv5r antenna is male dual band. i think uv3r antenna is two female single band i.e. vhf only and uhf only. better receive gain with single band antenna. i hear reports uv3r has louder tx audio. uv5r has led flashlight only. uv5r knob is on/off with volume like a cb knob. uv3r is a knob for up/down vfo only. both radios have slightly different frequency coverage outside ham bands. uv3r has 5khz step size. uv5r has 2.5khz step size.

A DTMF pad . . .

+1

I don't think I could ever own a radio without one, that's why I went with the 5r. It get's great audio reports. Tx range is better then rx with the stock antenna though, but it was still good for about 20 miles in good terrain.

+1

I don't think I could ever own a radio without one, that's why I went with the 5r. It get's great audio reports. Tx range is better then rx with the stock antenna though, but it was still good for about 20 miles in good terrain.

A Ham buddy of mine just got one of the 5r's and has been playing with it a bit and likes it so far. I'm actually waiting for mine to be delivered hopefully this week.

The only complaint from my friend is the stock antenna...any recommendations as to a replacement for it?

Reactions: 1 person
A Ham buddy of mine just got one of the 5r's and has been playing with it a bit and likes it so far. I'm actually waiting for mine to be delivered hopefully this week.

The only complaint from my friend is the stock antenna...any recommendations as to a replacement for it?
a. Add a 'tiger tail' to the stock antenna or to an aftermarket piece; it will pick up one S-unit on TX.
b. Comet SMA24J (best)
c. Diamond SRJ77CA
d. a well-trimmed coat hanger

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/138180-comet-sma-24-vs-diamond-srj77ca-ht-antenna.html

What USB driver did you use? I can't get ANY USB driver to work.

To program the HT manualy is a NO GO! The manual that comes with the HT has got to be the worlds worst written thing I've ever seen.

Thanks...

I can't remember where I found them, but you need older drivers for the cable. The drivers that windows automatically downloads fails(on purpose). The manufacturer of the cables don't have a license for some serial/USB chip in the cable, and the new drivers have wonderful DRM in them.

I have the 3R. It's tiny, has awesome battery life and is super cheap. The volume adjustment is terrible. You have to push the volume button, then turn the knob and select one of several volume levels. The output is only 2 watts, not enough for a lot of situations.

The 5R has a normal volume knob, like every other radio ever. The 5R uses the same speaker/mic/programming cable that Kenwood/Wouxun uses. That being said, I'm buying a 5R and the big battery.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.