• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-B5

BrickOLore

May 13, 2011
I did a quick search and didn't seen any posts here about the UV-B5, so I would like to introduce what I am calling the best kept secret in Chinese handhelds.

It shares similar features/functionality with the UV-5R - it is a pretty typical dual-band HT, but based on the reviews I have seen, it performs even better than the already good offerings from Baofeng/Wouxon/TYT.

Anyone here got one?

Cheers,
B

Kind of a giddy rush to judgment.

No dry cell battery packs
No flashlight
Mediocre battery life
No 2.5 steps
Receive equal to the UVD1
FM and memory bugs

How is this the best kept secret?

I think the reviewers are just excited that something new came down the pike.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Kind of a giddy rush to judgment.

No dry cell battery packs
No flashlight
Mediocre battery life
No 2.5 steps
Receive equal to the UVD1

How is this the best kept secret?

I think the reviewers are just excited that something new came down the pike.

Different strokes for different folks... receive equal to KG-UVD1P at a fraction of the price - a win for me, no flashlight - a none issue for me, battery packs - I bet they arrive soon.

I'll grant you the 2.5 steps, but I didn't take the battery life to be so bad that it would be a deal breaker.

Added: There is a UV-B6 version that has the flashlight. (Again, it wasn't important to me and I completely forgot about it.)

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday from 409 shop (dot) com. Took 2 weeks from payment to delivery. Not too bad coming from Hong Kong.

I like the feel of the UV-B5, fits better in my hand than my UV-5R+. I was able to store a local 2meter freq with offset & PL tone easier in the UV-B5 than the UV-5R+. I'm going to see how well I can set it up with the Baofeng software, no CHIRP support as far as I know. On the down side, no 2.5 khz step and only a 5 character alpha-numeric display. Will report back soon.

73, Greg

Is the software 'buggy' - like the UV-5R?

I have had my UV-5R and R+ for about a month now. Programmed both with CHIRP, and have not had any issues with either unit. I keep hearing "buggy" and that they drop memories, but both of mine are working with no problems. Stock battery life is what I would consider phenomenal.

RT307

Got mine yesterday from 409 shop (dot) com. Took 2 weeks from payment to delivery. Not too bad coming from Hong Kong.

I like the feel of the UV-B5, fits better in my hand than my UV-5R+. I was able to store a local 2meter freq with offset & PL tone easier in the UV-B5 than the UV-5R+. I'm going to see how well I can set it up with the Baofeng software, no CHIRP support as far as I know. On the down side, no 2.5 khz step and only a 5 character alpha-numeric display. Will report back soon.

73, Greg

I read where you can put in 2.5 khz via the software.... can't be sure until I get mine and try it out. As for flashlight I don't need one, and the UV B6 has one for anyone who needs a flashlight. My interest is in the front end for intermod, and in the transmit audio boost.... I hope mine gets here in 10 days like yours did.

I just picked up a uv-5re plus and i cant get vhf rx unless i hold the monitor button down. Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem and how to correct it?

Thanks,
73's

yes. ctcss is on both tx and rx with the correct pl tone. And dcs is off. I read some of the reviews that various people are having the same issue on Amazon but didn't find any corrections.

At this point I am not sure if it is a defective unit or not. I can't seem to find someone with allot of experence with these.

was anyone able to program the 2.5 freqs in to the radio ?

if so how i really like this radio.

if 2.5 can not be programmed guess i will have to go with the newest uv 82

yes. ctcss is on both tx and rx with the correct pl tone. And dcs is off. I read some of the reviews that various people are having the same issue on Amazon but didn't find any corrections.

At this point I am not sure if it is a defective unit or not. I can't seem to find someone with allot of experence with these.

Turn the CTCSS off in RX mode. A lot of repeaters filter it out and do not pass it thru therefore your receiver will not open up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.