• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna can it be used on/as a mobile

Survival Bill

Oct 30, 2005
Canada
www.survivalbill.com
Hi I have just done some testing with my van and my base station were my wife was monitoring after 10 blocks I could not hear her anymore on the CB on the other hand she could hear me up to 20 miles away no problem as I just kept babbling once in awhile on my way to the lumber yard now since I could send no problem to the base station but could not receive after a short distance I am now wondering if I could use a base station antenna on my truck to help with the receive part of things?

I now am using a 108" wipe match is perfect 1-1 on 19 and 1.5 on channel 1 and 40 as it is the antenna that I am transmitting from and receiving through the truck body right? I am thinking the body does not make a very good receiver :(

or is their something else I should be looking at for a fix?
I guess it could very well be the radio then too?

check your dials as MC said ,it sounds like you should be doing better then you are ? you could hear her ,but she could not hear you ? Your antenna sounds fine to me , sounds like you might want to get a dose of power in line with that radio .What kind of radio is it ?

Survival Bill,
Can a base antenna be used on a mobile? Yes, but it isn't very practical. Just too tall in most cases and how you gonna mount the thing?
As the others have suggested, I'd certainly take a look at everything else before changing the antenna. No idea of where you should start, but definitely start looking.
- 'Doc

humm my base antenna is 40 feet high and only 3 feet tall and self adjusting for SWR that is why I was wondering if I get another one if I could mount that on the truck if it would work or if the metal in the truck would be a problem.. being small I would think it would stand up to wind shear from driving it seems very solid...

Never seen a 3' base antenna. Who makes it and why would you want to run that on the car? You would be better off with a 5' Wilson Silver Load than ANY 3' antenna.

All in all, with the lack of any information, it sounds like a bad idea.

he said he already had 108 incher on his truck .......3 ft antenna 40 feet up ......Hmmm (-: whats really going on ?

Hmmm sound like your base is the problem......as with the rest of the guys I am lost when it comes to your base antenna!!! Also the wip your running is one of the best antennas when it comes to receive for a mobile.

base transmits just fine I have been farther out on the quad and had no problems... just couldn't figure out why it did not receive in the truck used a meter to figure out the ground wasn't doing its thing, man it was hard to find some were to ground it too had to run a wire to the engine block just to make sure...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.