• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Antenna Coax length,Best Coax and best Antenna under $250.00

Skip talk

Yep,I agree. Where I live,I would have to run power,especially trying to contact 288 in Arizona(no ears). He's like he's next door. The boys with the big toys here in the Carolina's make contacts easily. As far as the 102" goes,I just need to mount my radials in the direction I want to talk in. I live 100 miles from Myrtle Beach but where I live at,it's 5 miles south from where the ground turns from red Clay to sand. I can probably enhance my grounding. The footing I dug for this tower is about five foot square that I hand dug in two hours time. Once you go a few inches down,the sand is wet.

Last edited:
Huh?

Okay,I have a pine tree beside the tower. A lesser tree is on the other side of it with some branches starting to encroach on the lower tv element. If I mounted a cb vertical antenna,it would run clear of these branches. Maco v58 could fit in there. The base of the antenna would be at 36". My choices;1.Gainmaster,A99,IMAX 2000,Maco v58.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 35
End fed

they work about the same as any other no radial end-fed

They make the 1/2 and 5/8w/radials. The gain isn't that impressive. The 5/8 model has 4ft. Radials. Both of them can be tuned for whatever frequency you want to operate on by adjusting the length. The PDF download shows what length at what frequency to tune for.

im familiar with both versions, they are a little better quality than the cheapest european 1/2 & 5/8waves with similar performance.

A little better

I sent them an email. I don't think that the antennas should be shortened to 600 mm or 1.9 ft. For 27.15 mhz as their installation instructions require

Optimal antenna height

If I mounted a A99 or a Gain Master on my tower,what should be the optimal antenna height at the feed point? Please note that the top of the tower is thirty-one feet high with a 1.25" plumbing pipe mast extending out the top to a height of 37'. The rotator turned mast pole is a total of 16' in length with 6' extending out the top of the tower. Would the A99 have need of the ground plane kit? Would the A99 need a air choke or let the mast act as a counter poise? I have two trees near to the tower with taller pines(70ft.) a hundred yards away to the north west. The mast pole is grounded to the tower and the tower is grounded to a 8' copper rod driven in the sand. :confused:

folks have talked around the world on lesser antennas than a gainmaster and at lesser heights . so you have a good chance of doing very well with it at your height .
i'll suggest a coax choke at the feed-point of any antenna since it can't hurt anything , but the gain master already has one built in ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Lesser heights

I talked with a local here and he seems to think that 30' is the magic height? The Gain Master has awesome low angle radiation compared to the A99. I did here someone on a A99 talking skip tonight,a Imax2000 last night.

Thanks

folks have talked around the world on lesser antennas than a gainmaster and at lesser heights . so you have a good chance of doing very well with it at your height .
i'll suggest a coax choke at the feed-point of any antenna since it can't hurt anything , but the gain master already has one built in ;)

Thanks! I was just reading about doing a air choke right before I popped the question. Does it matter if the feed point is in the first wave(36')or the second(above 36')?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.