• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna, High noise floor tips..

What kind of antenna will it be?
If it has radials, it can be placed at the feedpoint.
If it does not, my personal preference has become at 9' from the feedpoint. Opinions abound on how to manage the wraps, but because the wraps are essentially an inductor I believe they need to be side by side touching each other uniformly. Use a non conducting former like a 4" section of PVC tubing, or something similar, to wrap around.
I have used plastic bottles, varnished cardboard tubes, etc. Do not permit your choke to touch the metallic tower.
The tower itself will likely absorb any stray rf, but the choke should help mitigate any rf returning by the coax braid into the shack.

The antenna is a Mr. Coily Excalibur .64 if you're familiar with it. I have plenty of 4" PVC so that will work great.

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.