• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Base load skip shooter

IMO, it’s the default antenna to own. In pairs (ready & reserve; $75 shipped). There are “better” antennas to own given particulars, but for price and performance there aren’t.

A base load on the pickup roof is likely the better choice given no obstructions elsewhere on the vehicle. On a bed rail or behind cab, top load seems advisable.

Contributor JesseJamesDallas recently reported that between a Predator and a GR-45 there was little apparent difference (see pics of mount). But both of those are visually-arresting. Attention-getting.

I’ve a dozen or more antennas (not counting pairs separately) for mobile, both big truck and pickup. A PRESIDENT TEXAS will be the default. (A 7’ base load on the roof). Then Skipshooter choices in 5’, 6’, 7’.

I haven’t tested these as choices yet, but my experience with Skip on the big truck is that perform very well and stand up to some inadvertent abuse (tree branches unavoidable).

I always choose them in Clear (color) as it stands out the least.

I have a president Texas just don't know if the shitty aluminum roof will hold it...

Don’t know why not. Unless you’re running 75-MPH into a 20-mph headwind.

Reason I have a huge puck mount waiting to go on mine is to run a 102”.

I may not use it much, but it’s the build-standard I wanted as it’d be almost an Interstate-only antenna.

The Texas on a triple-mag hasn’t been a problem the short distances I’ve run (around FTW). It’s a minor-league whip compared to a 102”. Granted, steel roof, Dodge, all sorts of advantages (Ha!)

Personally, I’d test it. YMMV

Reactions: undertaker
This might be a old thread but I just put a Tram 3500 5" mag-mount on top of my Little Chevy Cobalt and have almost a Flat-Line SWR across the 11 meter band. Only channel 1 twitches a little and I don't care about channel 1 anyway. Just put it on but hearing like never before. Time will tell. I'm no expert but I have always felt like Center of the roof is the only place for me!

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
This might be a old thread but I just put a Tram 3500 5" mag-mount on top of my Little Chevy Cobalt and have almost a Flat-Line SWR across the 11 meter band. Only channel 1 twitches a little and I don't care about channel 1 anyway. Just put it on but hearing like never before. Time will tell. I'm no expert but I have always felt like Center of the roof is the only place for me!
I had one of those Tram 3500's yrs ago and was a great antenna. As good as a Wilson 1000 imho. Maybe better. Eventually, it got moisture in it and corroded inside so I had to get rid of it. If I ever bought another one I'd seal it anywhere rain could possibly get in. Great antenna. Strong magnet also.

Reactions: whiteastro
I had one of those Tram 3500's yrs ago and was a great antenna. As good as a Wilson 1000 imho. Maybe better. Eventually, it got moisture in it and corroded inside so I had to get rid of it. If I ever bought another one I'd seal it anywhere rain could possibly get in. Great antenna. Strong magnet also.
Thanks for the input. Yeah maybe my Black RTV is a good idea for insurance. I got a bad taste in my mouth for Wilson years ago when I put a Wilson Lil-Wil on the roof of my car and never could get happy with the SWR (Fussy) So I put a Tram 300 on and straightened right out. They are basically the same antenna and even the rubber boot from the Tram fits the Lil-Wil but they must be electrically a little different in the base load. Now with the Tram 3500 SWR I am over the Top Bonkers with Tram. Maybe I got Lucky. Too bad I don't get lucky with that Hot Babe I've been seeing. LOL

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Thanks for the input. Yeah maybe my Black RTV is a good idea for insurance. I got a bad taste in my mouth for Wilson years ago when I put a Wilson Lil-Wil on the roof of my car and never could get happy with the SWR (Fussy) So I put a Tram 300 on and straightened right out. They are basically the same antenna and even the rubber boot from the Tram fits the Lil-Wil but they must be electrically a little different in the base load. Now with the Tram 3500 SWR I am over the Top Bonkers with Tram. Maybe I got Lucky. Too bad I don't get lucky with that Hot Babe I've been seeing. LOL
Lol, patience.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.