1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Mobile Base load skip shooter

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by undertaker, Jun 1, 2021.

1. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Thinking of trying one one top of my pick up. Anyone ever used one? Got an adapter for the wilson roof mount.

Slowmover likes this.

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

IMO, it’s the default antenna to own. In pairs (ready & reserve; $75 shipped). There are “better” antennas to own given particulars, but for price and performance there aren’t.

A base load on the pickup roof is likely the better choice given no obstructions elsewhere on the vehicle. On a bed rail or behind cab, top load seems advisable.

Contributor JesseJamesDallas recently reported that between a Predator and a GR-45 there was little apparent difference (see pics of mount). But both of those are visually-arresting. Attention-getting.

I’ve a dozen or more antennas (not counting pairs separately) for mobile, both big truck and pickup. A PRESIDENT TEXAS will be the default. (A 7’ base load on the roof). Then Skipshooter choices in 5’, 6’, 7’.

I haven’t tested these as choices yet, but my experience with Skip on the big truck is that perform very well and stand up to some inadvertent abuse (tree branches unavoidable).

I always choose them in Clear (color) as it stands out the least.

undertaker and ForestRunner98 like this.
  3. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Correction. I missed that you wrote “base load”. My bad. Haven’t tried those.

4. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

No worries my friend...

5. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I have a president Texas just don't know if the shitty aluminum roof will hold it...

Slowmover likes this.
  6. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Don’t know why not. Unless you’re running 75-MPH into a 20-mph headwind.

Reason I have a huge puck mount waiting to go on mine is to run a 102”.

I may not use it much, but it’s the build-standard I wanted as it’d be almost an Interstate-only antenna.

The Texas on a triple-mag hasn’t been a problem the short distances I’ve run (around FTW). It’s a minor-league whip compared to a 102”. Granted, steel roof, Dodge, all sorts of advantages (Ha!)

Personally, I’d test it. YMMV

undertaker likes this.
  7. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

put a metal plate on the underside of the roof. That will keep that big bad boy stable!!

Slowmover and undertaker like this.
  8. barefootindian

barefootindian Supporting Member

ForestRunner98 is right about that steel plate suggestion

Slowmover and ForestRunner98 like this.
  9. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

This is what I did....

57ABE137-4C5C-4ED2-AECE-D72D662E4731.jpeg

No flexing at all!!!

barefootindian and Slowmover like this.