• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base mast/Conduit

The braided stuff is super tough. Not UV resistant, but will last quite a while.

I used the tiny stuff(used by masons and other construction use) as guys on a small mast and it was still strong after two years.

Not something I'd expect to endure for a decade, but good for longer than you'd think.

Thats what i bought the first time the diamond braided stuff, on special 5.99 for 100 feet, for the metal guy's I'm a little concerned for my two dogs if one were to let go they might get hurt, its also a little less forgiving if one of my dogs runs into it, but they dont seem to have any problems seeing the rope atm.

If you only expect it to last less that five years, go for it.

It has amazing strength and is cheap as hell.

Otherwise, buy the stuff at a hamfest, it's the same stuff, with different gauges that resists UV.

booty and sickpuppy,

i guess lowes does not carry them anymore.
the one i bought was a couple of years ago.

i remember thinking how cool it was to find one at a major home improvement store.

i called them and they said they havent carried them for at least the last 8 months to a year.

sorry for the bad lead.

i know that they were made by "clear channel" if that helps anyone find one.
LC

Here in the UK many folk use scaffold tubes for ground mounted antennas,either aluminium or more common heavyweight galvanised ones.At around 48-50mm diameter and 20 ft long these masts are ideal for adding other masts on top of to give increased height and the correct antenna mounting diameter,they are extremely strong,and if countersunk into the ground are unlikely to rot,with a bit of ingenuity you can make them into fold down masts too for easy access to antennas for maintenance.

they are relatively cheap compared to commercial antenna poles,especially as they tend to be found lying around,lol.the wall thickness is generally very thick compared to conduit or commercial antenna poles,the aluminium ones could even be t+k bracketed to houses,just remember to buy safety helmets,just in case,lol.

they can also be countersunk next to a house,shed or garage so they can be attached about 5 foot above ground to give even more support.

probably a much better bet than 1" conduit.

I think using 1" diameter electrical conduit is not a very sound idea. If there are some strong winds, it could easily destroy the whole works - unless LOTS of guy wires are used at differerent heights to support it. If that is all that is available and one needs to improvise, then give it a go.

1 1/2" or 2" galvanized steel water pipe has a greater wall thickness than the wambly 1" electrical conduit. I've known a couple of people who used that with decent success in the past. It never came down when supported by guy wires. But it cost more than standard TV antenna masting, much heavier as well.

Thank you for the insight jazz much appreciated.

Here is the revised mast , that i just finished mocking up, now it would have been done earlier if i didnt have a 100lb german shepard wanting to play fetch hehe.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...vised-v2-0-lol-picture1010-picture-003-2.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...vised-v2-0-lol-picture1009-picture-002-2.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...vised-v2-0-lol-picture1008-picture-001-2.html

ps I'm on the prowl for an old tv antenna tower my neighboor in front has one he does not use anymore , ill ask him if i could have it if i take it down lol

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.