• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base mast/Conduit

Sickpuppy22

Nov 24, 2008
Montreal,Quebec.Canada
Went out to home depot this morning to go and get some steel Conduit pipe to make a mast to mount the Maco v 5/8 i ordered from the radio store yesterday :D

This is what it looks like mounted to my Deck with some nylon Chord as guy wires
http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...984-i-am-about-1-foot-above-my-roof-line.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...ng-maco-v5-8-picture983-ground-wire-lead.html
Here at the bottom of the mast i drilled a pilot hole then attached an 10 gauge wire.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...clamps-100-foot-nylon-chord-45-dollars-d.html

I also drilled another hole into a 4 foot 1/2 in OD steel tube and attached the ground to it then drove it all the way into the Earth ( coated the connection with rtv scealer)

Just one little question about isolating the antenna from the mast,
what ia a good material to use that i could find at a home depot?

Sickpuppy.

mine is just about the same set up but //I went all the way into the ground with the mast about a foot into the ground ..that takes the supporting weight off the deck post and makes it a little steadier ( is that a word)

what diameter conduit are you using ? i was considering that but didnt like the little collar that connects them . i was considering the 10 ft 6 inch 1 3/8 inch toprail for chain link fencing , but it was suggested i use something better .

Atm it is 1 inch diamater , i did not like the connecter to much either so i spread som U clamps hangers and put two on opposite sides of each other.
I then put my hose clamp ( where i set my guy wires on the lower section of the coduit connecter and another one on the top part.

its pretty sturdy once you attach some sort of guy wires though as mrgumby said im gonna head to HD tomorrow and get some of the wieght off my deck.

Here's some food for thought:

If you were to put your 20 ft mast on top of the roof with an upper tier of guy wires and a lower tier of guy wires, youi would have your antenna up close to 32-36 ft. Provided that the height of the roof is 12-16 ft. Having an antenna higher than that (40-50 ft) will make you louder to local radio conversations - but it will change your 'skip angle' relative to the surface of the Earth. Thirty-two up feet will work fine. Thirty-six feet up is optimal. We are talking about the height of the mast above ground to the feedpoint of your antenna - as a reference point.

36 ft up -to the point of the coax feed on your antenna- is considered an optimal height, as this will give you an optimal skip angle with either a 1/2 wave antenna or a 5/8 antenna.

If the height is less, you may have a better skip angle - but it will compromised by low objects around it that will mask signal propagation. In other words, it may not get out as well as you may have hoped it would. Low antenna setups are best - if there aren't any objets in the way for a few hundred feet around it. Most people put them up between 36-50 for that reason.

If you decide to put it on the roof, use a four point guy wire system - 90 degress apart. The guy wire should be about 2/3 of the total heigth of the mast you are trying to support. The lower tier of guy wire needs only to be up 5-8 ft from the base of the mast - or so. This will make it quite stable - the wind is an important factor to consider for any antenna setup. So are the locations of power wires - SO TAKE GREAT CARE AND GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU!

If you are considering any possible roof damage caused by the end of the mast on the roof - get a block of wood that is 2" x 12" x 12" and bore a shallow hole in it with the same diameter of your mast. Not all of the way thru - just a 1/2 inch deep or so. Making a 'foot' for your mast base. This works quite well even on a mildly pitched roof - so long as the hole is slightly wider that the mast diameter - and is only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep into the block of wood.

Using metal guy wire is cheaper and easier to find at the local hardware store or building supply house. Using polyester cord for clothes lines will disintegrate after a year or so - due to ultra-voilet radiation from the sun. Hams use a special kind of rope, a dacron that has UV protection built in. Metal guy wire is cheaper and easier to obtain - the special dacron rope cost a bit more (not much more) but can be hard to find - unless you are near a Ham Radio Outlet store...

Last edited:
Much appreciated Rob that is very usefull information, my roof by the way is about 24 feet tall and has a 45 degree slope and all the other house's aside from my next neighbor to the west are under 20 feet.

My entire mast from ground level to the top is roughly 25 feet minus the antenna with another section of conduit provided i get it down at least 2 feet should put me at 28 feet + how much the maco v5/8 bottom to feedpoint.

To my east theirs a field and to my south is my back neighbor his hom is about 18 feet tall. I would put it on the roof if were permited but ill settle for the deck.

Again thank you for that Information , clears up a question i was going to ask hehe

mine is just about the same set up but //I went all the way into the ground with the mast about a foot into the ground ..that takes the supporting weight off the deck post and makes it a little steadier ( is that a word)

Mrgumby, the Earth is almost toxic to metal least it be expensive metal. I set my mast on a concrete block and right beside it I drive my copper plated 4' or longer ground rod in and then attach the mast directly to the GR with copper or brass connector of some very durable sort. You can also use a couple of very good worm gear type all stainless steel hose clamps to secure the mast to the GR. If you line everything up right you will have the mast sitting straight on the masonary stone and the GP holding the bottom in place. If you keep the dirt and grass away from all of this the pipe will last quite a while. Otherwise, it will be eaten up fast.

Good luck.

I've heard that some people have used stainless steel for ground rods. I suppose that aluminum could be used. But if you are putting it in to hard pack ground - you would probably end up bending it.

The soil on the coast of CA where I live is like concrete. I have to use a garden hose/water just to soften the surface just enough to dig in it to plant veggies. Going down six-eight feet would require a piledriver! Tough!

sickpuppy,

just a couple of things.

first, how in the heck are you going to get up there to put the antenna up?

also, with only 1" conduit, your guy wires are way too low.
in a strong wind your antenna is going to be going crazy up there.

your guy wires need to be right under your antenna base.

also, did you know that lowe's sells 30 ft. push up poles for around 50 bucks?
that would be perfect for your situation.

too bad you cant mount the antenna on the roof.

all you would need is an eve mount and a 10 foot mast.

as far as the grounding thing goes, the only reason to do it with this antenna is for lightning protection, and you have next to none.

a 10 gauge wire is not going to do anything but melt if lightning hits the antenna, as will your coax after it blows up everything attached to it.

the thing about lightning protection is, it costs lots of money to be safe.

LC

LC is right about the grounding.
But understand this: lightning strikes have a tremendous amount of voltage and amperage. If you live in an area that has a lot of severe storms, you may be impacted by it. Getting a few ground rods in the ground and use large guage wire clamped to the mast and to these ground rods is all one can do. Lightning can vaporize these as well - even though it may look loke it is heavy-duty! Hams are taught to disconnect all external antennas from equipment and unplug everything as well - well before the storm arrives. Good advice...

I am a storm spotter for the National Weather Service - so here is my gratuitous statement:
"Lightning is an equal opportunity killer. Don't mess around with it nor take any risk beyond which is reasonable. Taking a bath, washing dishes, touching electric appliances, or talking on a land-line/telephone during a lightning storm has killed many in the past. Be aware of lightning's physical properties and obey the rules of lightning safety."

LC can you provide a phone number to a lowes with the telescopic mast . none in the richmond va do and cant find anything on their computer about it . if i could find one (even in another state) at another store maybe i could get them to ship it to a store near me . ..thanks

I really appreciate this input guys heres is the shopping list for tomorrow.

2x 100 foot roll of nylon dual core chorde ( unless i can find some sort of turn buckle and 4 foot metal stakes)

1x 10 foot section of conduit

6x 2" Hose clamps

1x Conduit connector

1x Box of self taping metal screws ( 3/8 head )

2x U Hangars for reinforcing connection

6' of 4 gauge SS braided wire ( could not find copper braided at my HD )

2x 4' aluminum 1/2 OD tube

2x 1' hose clamps (For connecting ground leads )

In my area there are no lowes which is sad but hey i cant beg them to open up a department for a mast lol.

If i'm missing anything let me know, don't be afraid i like constructive criticism it's what makes you learn (y)

I like the idea of using a block of wood to rest the mast on and debating wheather or not to drive a section 2 feet down into the soil, as it is mostly clay around here.

As for raising the antenna its just a matter of loosening 2 hose clams 2 u hangers and lowering the section down, then re hoist using the help of the guy wires.

I'd still like to keep the bottom section attached to the deck for a little extra support, and reduce the load on the deck railing

I will most likely be resting the mast on a 4x4 which ill have to make a nice little level channel so ill be able to hoist the mast up from the deck. I'm just not to sure how long a piece of conduit pipe would last driven into the ground.

I'd still like to keep the bottom section attached to the deck for a little extra support, and reduce the load on the deck railing

Thanks a hole bunch guys keep the great info coming!

Sickpuppy

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.