• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Radio Question

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
Okay, I checked out the so called "export base radios". They appear to be glorified CB's in a base setup. So I started looking at the following YAESU radios: FT-840, 950 and 990. What else should I be looking for? It would have to be easily converted to 11m, have good AM/SSB quality. WOULD NOT BE USED ON 10m.

I would be looking at a good used radio due to the cost of these types when new. I have had a real hard time trying to even find a listing for the the above radios in a used form. Any suggestions on where to look?

PLEASE, do not suggest a mobile radio. I notice a lot of people post on here such and such "base" radio only to see that it is a mobile used as a base.

Terry

You're going to find that all a base radio is is a radio with a built in power supply. If you are looking for a ham radio to run 11m AM, your choices are slim, but the ft101 will do it.

About 90% of my time is on SSB but I still use AM sometimes. I am aware that the main difference is the built in power supply. Its a cosmetic thing. I think having a regular base makes for a cleaner looking base station. Another plus is there is usually a little better spacing of the controls on a base. I hadn't thought of the 101. The problem I'm having is finding used radios to get an idea of what they are selling for. I'll look around on Flebay (EBay) and see what they have although I won't buy on there.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 101!

Terry

I agree, I run base in the house and don't even own a power supply. Running SSB will broaden your search and there are several threads listing options for 11m ssb radios.

EDIT_____
I found my 101e on craigslist for 350$ fairly local.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.