• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base station external speakers

tuner

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Hello Everyone,

I'm just curious about what type of speakers or sound system you guys use.
I have been messing around with some pc speakers that have a sub woofer as well as others that have a tone control to try to improve the sound quality.
Any other ideas out there ?

Tuner:)

Is there even room to be able to drive that car ..lol
I bet if that car is ever pulled over by a cop.
When cop sees all those radios....Likely he will just give up..LOL

I use a SP-23 Icom External speaker..
However i removed the speaker that it has in its enclosure
replaced it with a high end Focal Car speaker.

Works really good

Is there even room to be able to drive that car ..lol
I bet if that car is ever pulled over by a cop.
When cop sees all those radios....Likely he will just give up..LOL

I use a SP-23 Icom External speaker..
However i removed the speaker that it has in its enclosure
replaced it with a high end Focal Car speaker.

Works really good

...........Or laugh his ass off!!!:D:D:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tuner, they are referring to the pic in your sig.

I've tried home computer speakers and did not like them. Especially with a subwoofer. Too much bass for me, and not enough mids and highs. YMMV.

I recently purchased a Uniden Bearcat external speaker, and with the tone set to low on my rig, really sounds good without a lot of hash. Just the voices come through, and they are clear and easy to understand. I think it ran me around 20 bucks or so.

RT307

I like using a mobile radio for my base and keeping the components seperate just incase something blows up, lol, easier to replace than a Turbo or 2995ish base radio. So.....im using a pair of speakers from an old Boom-box with 8 inch woofers,mid's & tweeter's.....makes the scratchy radio sound sweet & choice sounding.

Reactions: 1 person
Hello Everyone,

I'm just curious about what type of speakers or sound system you guys use.
I have been messing around with some pc speakers that have a sub woofer as well as others that have a tone control to try to improve the sound quality.
Any other ideas out there ?

Tuner:)

You just want a 'communications grade' speaker.
You don't want a 'hifi' speaker.
All you want to hear is the voice, and not the highs ( hiss ) or the bass.
Most of the audio sprectrum that conveys the most intelligle information when listening to a communications grade radio is located in the 'midrange.'
So therefore you want to eliminate the highs and the lows as they do not convey much of the intelligence in the speech and the highs ( hiss ) can be annoying.
They make speakers just for this purpose of eliminating the highs and the lows and are just for listening to the voice from a two-way radio.
Most of the speakers thay you can buy from a place that deals in two-radio equimpent fall into this category.
They don't have to be expensive.
If you want to make your own speaker you can make one with a car stereo speaker but you don't want to mount it an enclosure that adds bass ( you can mount it in an enclosure but not one that adds bass ) and you probably will want to disconnect the leads to the tweeter or the midrange drive if it is of that type.
So, bottom line, you can make your own from stuff you might have on hand or can buy inexpesively somewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.