• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base station setup

... get some LMR 400... Roll up neatly about 8-10 turns of the coax around some 8" PVC pipe....

I dunno about those exact dimensions, but,....10 8 inch diameter turns of LMR 400 doesn't sound right for 27 MHz

choke_impedances.png

get rid of that 1x2 box as fast as you can! they are a terrible design, and there is no way you are going to get clean output from it.

Emergency! Toss that amp into the river :ROFLMAO:

Your basic Ugly Balun. Often imitated, always duplicated and sometimes truncated:

Here's a cool link to more Ugliness. Actually some of the ugly baluns on there are not so ugly and there's some good ideas on constructing them. Do try this at home.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

Last edited:
Again, not getting it. That is a photo of the balun under my Sirio 2016.

I do however think it is good that amateur radio operators still take an interest in CB and like to comment on CB stations since most of us started there. Nothing wrong with wanting operators to improve their equipment. I'm sure it's been said before, but not all CB'ers will be able to upgrade to amateur radio standards. So until they start calling this section "General HAM Services Discussion" I would like to comment accordingly as to CB radio operation if that's alright with everyone.

God1234... An easy guide to amp draw is figure 20 amps per 2sc2879 pill (100 watt RF power transistor) So take for instance this early Class C (8) pill 2879 amp shown below. It will require 200 amps of DC to allow enough headroom to keep distortion to a minimum. That does not factor in any other devices requiring 12-15 VDC power like the radio or any other stages you might have in line.

Some power supplies will let you adjust the voltage. If the devices in your amp are Toshiba's, they will work very well when the power supply is adjusted up to 15+ VDC. I would not recommend the newer DEI pills be run above 15 Volts. Also remember, if you do adjust the voltage higher, you may need to de-rate the current (amps) rating of the power supply if it is spec'd at 12 VDC and you turn it up to 15+ volts.

c07PlT2.jpg

I dunno about those exact dimensions, but,....10 8 inch diameter turns of LMR 400 doesn't sound right for 27 MHz

choke_impedances.png

it should be pointed out here that the air core choke that is so popular is still inferior to using ferrite.
in fact, G3TXQ has come out against the misuse of this chart.
he only made it in an attempt to show how much better using ferrite was, and has asked that people stop using it to extol the virtues of the air core choke.

palomar engineering sells a kit available in two versions, one with snap on ferrite beads, and one with continuous beads.
i have one here that completely eliminated a common mode issue i was having.
they are about 30 bucks, and you dont have to try and source a large PVC pipe to wind the coax around.
its basically the same thing that MFJ sells, but you dont have to add the extra connectors into your system.
LC

Reactions: BBB
... Roll up neatly about 8-10 turns of the coax ...Your basic Ugly Balun....

...Your basic Ugly Balun. Often imitated, always duplicated and sometimes truncated:

Again, not getting it. That is a photo of the balun under my Sirio 2016...until they start calling this section "General HAM Services Discussion" I would like to comment accordingly as to CB radio operation if that's alright with everyone...

"...according to CB radio operation..."
perhaps that explains why you have posted comments about an "ugly balun", when what you are referring to is not even a balun at all.

please 'splain to me how any currents/voltages/anything is transformed or balanced by the device you are referring to.

I can't believe people pay money for something like that when it is so easy to make your own.

Again, not getting it. That is a photo of the balun under my Sirio 2016.

You do know that is doing absolutely nothing at all for 11m? It'll probably work well somewhere around top band (160m) though. You might as well just replace that with a straight length of coax for all the good its doing.

Iyour referring to the MFJ 915. I have one installed on my 2000 and it does exactly what it's advertisef too. And has solved my stray rf feedline problems.
I just couldn't deal with winding my own choke / ugly balun, because of the many different messurments i was getting. 4 turns, 8 turns. And so many different donut hole messurments, it was just easy to plop down the 30 something dollars. And be done with it. Of course it's cheaper to put your own together but for me it wasn't worth the time and I think I made a good choice. On of the WWDX members recommended it and I would do the same. QUOTE="loosecannon, post: 531335, member: 1368"]it should be pointed out here that the air core choke that is so popular is still inferior to using ferrite.
he only made it in an attempt to show how much better using ferrite was, and has asked that people stop using it to extol the virtues of the air core choke.

palomar engineering sells a kit available in two versions, one with snap on ferrite beads, and one with continuous beads.
they are about 30 bucks, and you dont have to try and source a large PVC pipe to wind the coax around.
its basically the same thing that MFJ sells, but you dont have to add the extra connectors into your system.
LC[/QUOTE]
it should be pointed out here that the air core choke that is so popular is still inferior to using ferrite.

LC

Get a base amp with a built in driver and call it a day. Those Texas Stars are power hogs and power supplies are expensive. You can find amps that are just as clean that will draw less power. If you're happy with your mobile setup leave it alone. In my experience people always end up wishing they left their mobile alone.1KW will go a long way on a base with a good antenna. A Maco Shooting Star for example will multiply that 1000 watts several times. I personally wouldn't run more than 200 watts due to neighbors. Put the antenna at a good height, use RG 8 or similar coax, use an RF choke and run it with a clean radio. Ask you neighbors if you're bothering them. They won't always tell you and you won't know till the FCC come a knocking. I would concentrate on your antenna and radio first and worry about the amp last.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.