• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Based on your "opinion"...

That the typical Guy Ring is 1 & 1/4" and is larger than your mast pipe, doesn't matter. You still are going to have to drill a hole through the pipe and insert a long bolt through to hold the ring in place to prevent it from sliding down. So that will be the same. That there will be a slight little play between the ring and the mast will be negated by the tension applied from the guy ropes or wires. It will all do the job and stay in place once installed and finished.

Found an electric supply store local and I'll be on the air soon!!! Thanks to all for the "help"!!!

Wire Weasel, diameter of mast is 1/8" larger than guy ring...

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing that hole and bolt would be doing is holding the guy place from sliding down the pole. If you don't get ridiculous with the size of hole and bolt, there really isn't going to be much stress applied to that pole, or any excessive weakening of it.
Now think what's happening if you use a 'U' bolt/clamp. The only way I can think of it working is by clamping the guys to the pole and really putting some force behind that 'clamping'. What does that do the guy it's self, smashes it? Quite a bit of pressure to keep it from sliding, right? You just weakened the guy at the attachment point. Won't make much difference if that guy is made from metal or something else, that will weaken it.
Do I think the hole/bolt idea is the best? No, it isn't, but it's certainly an option at least as good as that clamp.
- 'Doc

DX Engineering Guy Rings GR-5P - DXEngineering.com

dxe-gr-5p_ml.jpg

Put a hose clamp underneath each one the pole - and you are off to the races in style . . .

A muffler clamp applies circumferential pressure. You just use them as a resting platform for a store bought ring or a homemade one. You could also attach the guys to the area between the bolt and clamp. Use two clamps in opposing directions, then no ring is needed.

These nuts would only need about 10 lbs of torque. Hardly enough to compress or otherwise weaken chain fence rail. Unless, of course, your the kind of guy that has to muscle every bolt they tighten. I wouldn't drill a hole for two reasons.

1. It don't need it.
2. Who wants to drag a drill and bits out?

Use your imagination, unless you always take your car to Midas and haven't used a muffler clamp.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.