• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Basic" antenna questions, 102" mounting, Wilson trucker

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
Ok, Vehicle is a 78 CJ5, fiberglass body. Right now I have an Antron 1700 on the right rear bumper. I have always kicked around the 102" thought, a ball mount on the rear quarter panel area. Radio is a stock Cobra 25 NWSTWX, but wanting to have it fine tuned better, just haven't found a reliable CB shop in the Canton Ohio area... ST has already been disabled, I can do simple stuff like that, but I only have a Dosy power/SWR/Mod "test center" and a oscilloscope, no other equipment yet and minimal electronics knowledge from half a degree in electronic engineering...

My questions regarding the 102":

WHY IS A BASIC 102" LONG STAINLESS ROD $60?!?!? A Wilson 1000 with mag mount and coax is that much!!

Ground planes.. I have been told with the 'glass tub I'll have issues, no ground plane. Is this true?

How bad would I hurt TX/RX if I tied the tip of the whip to the windshield frame (fiberglass too)? I park in a garage...

OK. the other antenna, the Wilson Trucker. It has the short ~12" long bottom rod. If I wanted to get the longer bottom rod, the one the plastic load piece screws on, would I have to trim the whip to keep same length? I want the load higher than it is...

I run a 102" but on a Dodge 3500. Attached to my headache rack. You will need some solid metal for a ground plane. On a Jeep it's hard to do. Ground all of your metal body pieces to the frame, engine too. The mount of the 102" needs to on metal surface and grounded. You say your body is fiberglass, so you probably do not have enough metal surface. There are NGP(No Ground Plane) antennas out there, fiberglass loaded whips. There are mounts for Jeep antennas that attach to the spare tire rack. I tie my 102" back to rear of bed sometimes, doesn't hurt a thing, it will transmit and receive in that position. You can find 102" whips for less, last one I bought was $25, now don't skimp on the spring. Hustler SSM-3 ran me $37 + tax. The cheap springs don't last and your swr will be high. Check around on this site for a similar thread to yours, there is more info out there. For a Jeep I recommend the NGP solution. When you figure out what will work, be sure to tune the antenna. Proper swr is a key. Check with Big Sandy's, I think that's the name, south of you about an hour south of you (If he is still around). I have not been back to Canton/ Mass area for 25 or so years. Good luck.

I run a 102" but on a Dodge 3500. Attached to my headache rack. You will need some solid metal for a ground plane. On a Jeep it's hard to do. Ground all of your metal body pieces to the frame, engine too. The mount of the 102" needs to on metal surface and grounded. You say your body is fiberglass, so you probably do not have enough metal surface. There are NGP(No Ground Plane) antennas out there, fiberglass loaded whips. There are mounts for Jeep antennas that attach to the spare tire rack. I tie my 102" back to rear of bed sometimes, doesn't hurt a thing, it will transmit and receive in that position. You can find 102" whips for less, last one I bought was $25, now don't skimp on the spring. Hustler SSM-3 ran me $37 + tax. The cheap springs don't last and your swr will be high. Check around on this site for a similar thread to yours, there is more info out there. For a Jeep I recommend the NGP solution. When you figure out what will work, be sure to tune the antenna. Proper swr is a key. Check with Big Sandy's, I think that's the name, south of you about an hour south of you (If he is still around). I have not been back to Canton/ Mass area for 25 or so years. Good luck.
Big Sandy, an hour south.. Around Cambridge?

Yeah, that's about what I was told about the whip, not enough metal. Guess I'll just stick to what I have then, it works fine and SWR is good.

Thanks!

Just realized I posted this in the "Amateur Radio" section. Can it be moved to the CB radio section, or do I just delete and repost?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.