• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

battery booster for powering mobile base setup ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ive made a few post here an there asking about power supplies and battery/charger combos to power a mobile for a base with a small amp . was looking at chargers and batteries at sears today and started wondering if a 750 amp jump starter would work ????? if i use my export and 500v my amp use would be under %10 of what that is rated for and if i use the export with the 225 itll be under %5 . anyone ever try this ? i figgure plug the radio into the cig plug and use the clamps for the amps power lines . dumb idea ? lol . wouldnt be my first for sure . was looking at this one . its got a built in automatic charger is is designed to power small tvs through the cig plug .

DieHard Portable Power 750 with 12 Volt Outlet and Light - Model 71486 at Sears.com

i may just give it a try it when i get an antenna up . can take it back in 90 days for a full refund . ;)
havnt see the question posted anywher befor so maybe im the only one poor/cheap enough or stupid enough to ask !!

Most of those use Sealed Lead Acid batteries (SLA). You might need one for the radio, and a separate one for your 225. It should work fine, not sure how long you could operate before needing a charge, though.

If you do try it, make sure you charge the battery back up after every use. SLA batteries HATE to be left in a discharged state, they die if you don't maintain them carefully.

Q for the BootyMon:
Why not get a 15 amp power supply and be done with it? You can get them for about $85. No spattered battery acid or nasty fumes - who wants that? I can understand having a system for emergency use; but I would rather run my radios on a real clean power supply with enough headroom for running a small heater. I figure a CB radio with a 100wicker wouldn't use more than 10 amps,; so a 15 amp would be the choice without putting a strain on the supply. For a 300wicker setup w/radio, probably a 45 amp supply would be enough without straining the power supply. Besides, using a charger would just inject more noise into your system - why would you want that?
???

the 225 has a 20 amp fuse in it .
i figgure 5-7 amps for a typical tuned radio ?
was thinking since its got a automatic charger just leave it pluged in ?
since i can get my money back if i dont like it let me ask this ...... any chance i could dammage my radio or amps trying it ?

Well, I think that because a charger isn't fully regulated current, it would inject a lot of noise because it isn't filtered. Not to forget that the voltage out of a charger is usually greater than 13.8 volts - it could damage your gear. If you charge the battery and take off the charger when operating, it won't use up that much battery just listening.

If you have an export radio, then Highlander is absolutely correct. They require at least twice as much as a Cb radio. Tube amps generally have their own supply built in - but not always. Tubes burn up a lot of extra amperage just heating up those tubes. They aren't as efficient with power as transistors, but they sure do sound m u c h sweeter.

But if you speak w/o the heater, it should be good for at least a few hours before volt/amperage begins to fall off. With the heater on, you could get by for an hour on quick conversations without the same thing happening. Depends on the strength and size of the battery - though. A 15 amp supply means that a CB (3-4 amp draw) and a 100wicker (7.5 amp draw) can run indefinitely, so long as they were cooled a bit between QSO's ( 10 amp draw total; 15 for some headroom). Same thing with a 300wicker (22 amp draw and 8 amp draw for export radio; 30 amp total & 10-15 amp headroom) and a 40-45 amp supply. If you are going to spend $50 for a charger; why not just wait and get a real supply? Something cool is going to pop up somewhere if you keep your eyes peeled for it. That is what I'm figuring. You know, thoughts out loud...

Last edited:
yea......it took a bit but i did find a great deal from a member her when i got my 500 . thanks guys . dont wanna risk damaging my stuff !!

it probally varys from manufacturer to manufacturer and maybe even P/S to P/S but since id only be drawing the max power load during modulation peaks and not contiousally i still need to focus on the contious amperage rating , not the peak rating . correct ?

Sure.
Volts used ("13.8" volts) X Amps drawn = Watts that you expect or need to use. Plus 35-50% more amps - so that you don't strain the power supply.
Example: a radio that puts out 22 watts swinging is drawing a minimum of 1.8 amps (22 divided by 13.8 volts = 1.8 amps. This number doesn't reflect other amp draw due to other circuits of that radio, so add 40% more = 3 amps minimum for that).
A 300wicker at 13.8 volts means that you divide 300 by 13.8 = 21.7 amps. Again you have to put in some headroom to keep things running cool and without strain. Overstraining the power supply is a sure way of burning it up prematurely, and could 'brown out' and damage you 300wicker and/or your radio too - by dropping the voltage too low. Headroom is your insurance; so is the quality of that supply - too.

A 500wicker ("watt kicker" = "wicker"--BTW) would be 500 divided by 13.8 volts = 36.2 amps amp draw. Then add 30-50% extra for headroom, or between 12-18 amps more. 36.2 + 12 = about 50-55 amps. Plus, whatever your radio will draw. Say, 3 amps for a mildly tuned CB, and about 8 amps more for a mildy tuned export. Using a supply for the radio and another for the kicker cheapens your overall cost, just be sure that they are all grounded at the same point outside the shack - and as close as possible to your shack.

Last edited:
I found a Astron 35 amp suppy used for 100 bucks. Look around. Pyramids arnt bad but not a Astron.I have a workman 35 amp that needs worked on. I dont know what is wrong with it but I would give it to you if you pay shipping.You would have to get it repaired.

Last edited:
Been there done that. Just running a Cobra 25 ran the jump pack down below 1/2 in about 25 minutes of talking. A power supply is the way to go.

Just gave the wife back her 400 cranking / 900 peak amps battery pack. She did me a favor by asking for it back. I had been using it in the garage to power radios. We have had several of these over the years and none has lasted for more than 2 years with regular use. I've got a new fleabay Pyramid setting here in the box that I'm all excited to try once the garage is temperate enough to stand out in again for more than 5 minutes.

Just gave the wife back her 400 cranking / 900 peak amps battery pack. She did me a favor by asking for it back. I had been using it in the garage to power radios. We have had several of these over the years and none has lasted for more than 2 years with regular use. I've got a new fleabay Pyramid setting here in the box that I'm all excited to try once the garage is temperate enough to stand out in again for more than 5 minutes.
G73 Dayton Electric Garage Heater With Automatic Overheat Shut-Off - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!
Check this out for the cold garage. You can find them for 300 bucks all day long. Got mine at granger but this is what it looks like. Have not noticed much of a jump in my ele bill and you wont find anything as good for twice the price. I keep the garage about 55 when not out there and crank it up some when I am. It was 5 here this morning and when I went out there it was 52. Turned up the heat and in about 40 mins 65 degrees. I turn it to high for a cycle or two then turn it alittle above half way and it will keep you nice and warm. One of the smarter things I have done but I must admit my smart list is fairly short LOL! It ant cool to have a cold shack. And its better for your equipment. Whats a Mancave without heat. Even cavemen had fires (y)

I found a Astron 35 amp suppy used for 100 bucks. Look around. Pyramids arnt bad but not a Astron.I have a workman 35 amp that needs worked on. I dont know what is wrong with it but I would give it to you if you pay shipping.You would have to get it repaired.

that is a very kind offer Mr. Clean and i certianly appreciate it . but without knowing what it will cost to get it fixed i think at this point ill have to buy something that i know exactly how much i have to invest to have something that works .

again , thanks very much for the offer . ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.