• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bazooka Dipole

Lazy Bones working his Bazooka antenna, has made it into my radio out here in Cali more than a few times.
Yes they do work, and for a simple antenna, they do a decent job.

Jeff

capt205,
A 'bazooka' is a half wave center fed antenna (dipole). Only real difference is an unusual feeding method. Most of what you hear about them is 'myth', not fact. Nothing wrong with them, but they're no miracle workers either. Wanna use one, have at it!
- 'Doc

What makes it special to me is how easy it is to go stealth with one ans it is easy to rig a mount for just a few bucks. You can't even see it unless you are in my back yard.

In the inverted V config it does well local and skip. Not the best antenna of course - but it is the best that fits my primary need - stealth. Click for pic......

lazy bazooka

Lazybones1222,
If it works then leave it alone, don't mess with it! I do think you will find that the same length 'dipole' made from ordinary wire would do as well.

The thing with bazooka antennas is that as you get further from it's design frequency the efficiency drops off. That's because of how the 'matching' system works. More reactance as you get further from the design freq. so less power radiated. Still shows as a good match (SWR) on the radio end though.
- 'Doc

PS - The above is not my 'opinion', but proven fact by someone who knows what he's doing, and did even measure it. Got a bad case of 'CRS' so don't remember his name, sorry.

Hey Jeff, I would really respect and appreciate you opinion about the antennas you work now and the ones you have worked in the past in 11 meters.

You are among a group of guys that I know can work that thing when mother nature is in the mood. Unless it is not good to voice your opinion in the lofty position you hold, how about a good old, up town, down town, unofficial, yet official report from one of the really big men in radio on the West coast and beyond?

How are the boys?

from one of the really big men in radio on the West coast

I know, its just I have this thing about Ribs snd fried chicken.
And try as I might, I stiil can`t find the WeightWatchers meals in the Hungry Man size :p
ok.
Lets see, I have run a Cushcraft ringo model AR-10.
A unknown brand of g/p. It had 3 radials on the bottom, a little over 21` in length and had a matching coil in base of it.
A 3 El yagi, flat.
A PDL II
A-99
a radioshack uhf tv antenna
unterminated coax
Jay`s I-10K
Wire antennas
I now use the 10-K and a long wire. with plans in the works for another 3 El yagi-flat

opinion`s
well... I never was real scinenticifal about my an-tinees, if they presented a halfway decent match i was happy, and i was using antennas tuners early on.
The ringo and the 99 were close to each other, the ringo seemed to have less noise on RX .
The PDL II was a suprise as it worked as well as the 3 El yagi and had less footprint, with both horz and vert as well.
Jays Antenna is built like a tank, good qualty workmanship and high quality fasteners.
It tunes very well.
Many different wire antennas, full wave loops, a few slopers, and I have a very long (400`+) end feed wire right now.
Good Coax, a good tuner, and baluns are needed for wire antennas :D
I look to guys like you Marconi, to provide the multitudinous details of the finer points of electromagnetic energy radation.
I am but a simple radio operator. :)

Jeff

Yep and you do that quite well too and all with an old A99 that is not supposed to talk like it does.

Thanks Jeff,

Eddie

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.