• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBT Delivered Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 Today

when i got my 5/8 25 years ago i gave away the ringo because it was so weak compared to the 5/8. the books may say only 1db lower but it acted more like 10. good luck. maybe take some readings before you take it down

I think I have decided to sell the sp500. I just don't have the room for it with the big radials and to much clutter around. If you are looking to get one look on the forum swap page. With the room I have I will need a 1/2 wave or something smaller.

sorry to hear this.. id try a sirio m-400 starduster therer radials are
slanted down, and take up much less room and there shorter
at under 100.00 i think id check look at them

The attached overlay shows my Sigma 4 model at 40' compared to the previous models and the advantages in gain and angle are obvious.

View attachment Pattern overlays.pdf

The New Vector would likely be similar, and this antenna may well fit your particular issues at your location. It has a very small foot print, but is very long compared to the others discussed here. I think with this antenna it is also important to make sure the feed point is as far above the surrounding building as possible, or some attenuation may also be noticeable in operations.

If your plan is to work 10, 11, and 12, meters then this antenna probably won't get you there either...without a tuner.

if you need an antenna to do 10 meters ham and cb why dont you get the gainmaster? there flat up to 30 and down to 25 and dont have ground plains

try lenthing radials to 108 inches then shorten the verticle. dont know what
will happen but id think you would want the radials at exactly 108 inches
for some strange reason

Those Sirius antenna's don't seem to be very well built from what I have heard. Fold up like a cheap card table or the matching coil goes open.

Those Sirius antenna's don't seem to be very well built from what I have heard. Fold up like a cheap card table or the matching coil goes open.

I think it is well worth it - IMO. Sounds like it would fill the bill for your needs. They seem to stand to to some pretty decent winds; no reports of unsatisfied users that I've read about yet. At $200; they are a bit expensive however. But if you don't want to put up a Sirio LW-150 and have the extra money to spend - it has the plus of not throwing off TVI too.

Up to you in the final analysis . . .

dont seem well built compared to what?????a 10k or mr. coily then no there not
but what is?ive had my sirio 2016 up since summer of 09 has seen 70 plus mph winds
also seen 2 inces of ice swr never flickered . ive had great luck so far with mine
if/when it fails rest assured it will be replaced with another sirio

BUMP. has anyone that ordered the p500 have put thiers up yet?
seems this thread has died off a bit

No I have not put my p500 up yet......I want to put it up on my banana tower....but do not have the help I need to put it up.:(

Just got it this afternoon. I will be putting it together tomorrow afternoon. Testing and calibration probably Thursday, and then erection either Friday, or whenever I can find a crew to help me.

Meanwhile, I complete repairs on my old Penetrator, and put it back in my stock of antennas. Then, I scrape and wire brush my old 3-section TV tower, apply cold galvanizing, and then paint it white (to match the siding of my house), and then I replace the existing 25' pole with the 30' tower. That will put the feed-point of the antenna at approximately 42'. At least that's the plan.

I just looked over the instructions and it DOES SAY the antenna is tuneable for 10 to 12 meters. Also the tubing lenths add up to over 22' overall. I think the bottom section IIRC is about 6' long. I do find it odd that HY Gain clearly put "CB antenna" on the box but the hammies that work at MFJ downplay that it can TUNE across 11 meters. LOL:D:laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.