• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEAM ANT. UPDATE

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
On another post I asked about a small beam ant. Well I was just given a Maco Shooting Star, rotor, and 40ft tower. The tower is in great shape,the rotor i am not sure about, the ant. looks good from the ground. Any comments about the ant. good or bad.Also can I tune it on a mast to see if it works before putting on the tower.Thanks for any help.

SARGE,
Tuning a beam that isn't in it's final mounting place is not the easiest thing in the world. That's because tuning is affected by height above ground and by 'things' around the antenna. It really isn't reasonable to try to guess at the tuning (little higher/lower than desired) to compensate, it can 'go' in either direction. You can do it, but just remember it's a 'guess'.
One 'trick' is to stand the thing up on it's director, on the ground, and tune it that way. Sounds odd, but it works, sort of. You'll get 'close', but don't count on a "perfect" match. If you don't have to climb the tower at least a couple of dozen times, you just ain't do'n it right.... :)
- 'Doc

---- Reflector, not director. CRS is getting worse...

W5LZ said:
One 'trick' is to stand the thing up on it's director, on the ground, and tune it that way. Sounds odd, but it works, sort of. You'll get 'close', but don't count on a "perfect" match.
Don't you mean, "reflector" ?

This antenna is not small but should be fun! If you want a small antenna, download the instructions for the Y-Quad and build it that way.

The shooting Star is similar to the Old Moonraker 4 beam.
Had a Shooting Star before, they work good.
Yes, you can tune them on the ground. Get bottom verticle elements as high as you can off ground and away from objects. You might want to leave some of the bottom verticle elements off, then assemble them after it's mounted on pipe.
These things are very awkward.
The SWR will probably move some after it's installed on the
tower.
Make sure you get a assembly manual with it. If not, the below link contains manuals for Maco Beams. I'm sure others will
chime in with suggestions:

Http://www.majestic-comm.com/assembly/index.htm

M.C.,
What I ought to say is that it was a 'test' to see who was paying attention. Uh... but to tell the truth, it's been a long day, not enough coffee, and all those other good excuses. Hate it when I do that!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.