• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

beam

i might add..
whatever beam
should be 24 ft or better boom

those 10 to 16 ft booms are not really worth it
My Opinion

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
yet in using my tuner at these times ,,,,which is few and far between....i realise i have reduced my actual usable or effective power output)

And just how have you reduced your usable power by any significant amount? Unless you are using crap for feedline, or an unreasonable length, most of the power will be re-reflected to the antenna for radiation. I feed a 220 ft doublet with 100 ft of 450 ohm ladderline, a 4:1 balun and an AT-11 auto tuner. Works 160-6m with over 16:1 SWR on some bands just fine. Model it on EZNEC, or similar software and see.

Rich

without the tuner

exactly what frequencys is it designed (at swr of 1.3 or better)

once one gets past the antenna
swr issue would be with feedline and or connectors (which is why proper mantinance of ones system is needed time to time)

on your wire antenna
step outside of where it is designed to be 1.1 to 1.5 swr
and then use a tuner

you save your radio
but the REAL SWR is Still present...even though the radio is tricked into thinking a diferent swr exists
since the real swr is where effentcy is derived
real swr is used to determine wattage efficentcy
or if you want to say real net usable/realised wattage

not trying to argue
things are what they are

there are things better then a typical tuner
that instead of hooking up to the radio
hook instead to base of antenna
these provide slightly better efficentcy
as well as do nearly instant tuning for they typiclly have memory
for a 1000 or more frequencys
(i forget exactly what they are caled)
but a problem with them is they typiclly are not usable with linears/amps for they usally have max handling power of 200 or 300 watts

i have thought of using a wire antenna
would need to find the room
i know many people do exceptionally well using them
that does not take away what happens when using a tuner

few people are using single band antennas given their size
and how most want to use many bands
few have the room to put up a farm of exellent antennas for all frequencys

i am considering a Steppir vertical BigIR to get around this issue
it has its own limitations as well (just a different set of slight issues) but seeing how so far i have found no need for a linear
i think it a better way (even though on most HF bands it is perfered to use Horizontal polarity....and if i can find the room then the MonstrIR is the way to go)

KingCobra_CDX882,
The biggest 'problem' with using a tuner is that the feed line to the antenna may not be capable of withstanding the affects of a high SWR. If the feed line will handle the SWR, and while there is some degradation of the amount of power reaching the antenna, in general, the signal produced by the system is almost impossible to tell from the same antenna being used with very little SWR and no tuner. It's exactly the same thing as using a transformer to change the 120 volts out of the AC line to some other voltage needed. There will be some power used/disipated in the transformer, but not enough to make any big differences (and RF tuners/transformers are a bit more efficient than AC transformers).
The 'other' reason(s) for using a tuner sort of make up for what power you might loose in one. Such as you may only have room for one antenna, or the antenna you are using with the tuner is for a particular purpose which you don't wanna do without. Or, the tuner is cheaper than a "do everything" antenna ( <--- My Biggie!).
If you need to 'tune'/transform impedances to get rid of SWR the best place to do that 'tuning'/transforming is where the SWR is being caused, and that's the best place to put the 'tuner'/impedance matching network (variable or not). If the mismatch is at the antenna/feedline junction, that's where the tuner ought to be, if possible. Which isn't always possible. The next choice is putting the tuner where is IS possible to use it. That sometimes means changing the type of feedline used. That can be a big problem, or not, just depends on where the whole mess is to start with. A tuner and open-wire/ladder-line/parallel conductor feed line is sort of 'impossible' for a mobile, as if you didn't know that (depends a @#$$ of a lot on the size of the mobile - LOL). But, that sort of setup does work very well, no matter what the 'supposed' losses in the tuner are. Got documented evidence of that if you just have to have it (hope not cuz I have no idea where to find it right now, it's been a while).
Are tuners, ladder line, etc, the absolute bestest things to have? Of course not. But in some instances they certainly are. Don't like the idea of tuners? That's okay too. They are a viable option though...
- 'Doc

In case you couldn't tell, I love tuners and ladderline antennas. There have been very few things I've asked mine to do that it couldn't do. Maybe not the biggest signal on the band, but as long as I'm heard, I could care less. There were several people in the 'Sand Pile', and their families here, that sort of liked it too.

I hear that he has stopped making antennas for awile since around april when i wanted to order.. but i maybe he has open shop again.

i suspect.....

Jay's Beam (he offers 5 and 7 element)
will work quite well

i know his Interceptor I-10K kicks butt
i am often mistaken for using a beam
when it is his I-10K

i was wondering when someone would get around to asking about his beams

i have his 10k and its nice. mine and another in town both are great and tune very well!!!!!!!

i like the pic he has where the 10k is ontop of the beam. got me thinking.

what do you think of that idea

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
W5LZ yes i agree

You agree with W5LZ and not with what I said? You are an interesting, conflicted person.

If you do not want to use tuners, go into the final section of your radio and rip out the pi matching network (tuner). Go to your mobile antenna and remove the loading coil (Inductance added to counter the inherent capacitance of a shorter than resonant antenna). Go to your "beam" and remove the matching section (Gamma, Tee, Hairpin, or what ever). These are there because the feedpoint of your beam is not 50 Ohms and needs to be changed. All tuners.

'Nough said.

Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.