• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bearcat 980 w/ AD-203

OK...little update. The 980 is in...and ran a few tests barefoot. Seems that its "OK" for local transmission. I'm not in a great area to test with other CB'ers. Next trip on the trans canada I can give it a test. I did manage to get out and chat with a few folks in Ohio on 38lsb..I'm in south central MB. Obviously DX..but running barefoot on an out of the box setup seemed pretty good.
Update to the update...got my RM505 hooked up. Its specs indicate 1-15w input on AM and 2-30w on SB...so I think running the 980 stock into it should be OK. I have tested it and on setting 3 (6 output settings) I was able to chat on SB about 30 miles out. Kept an eye on heat of the amp and seemed fine. Been getting out on DX pretty easy on 38 LSB also. I may still try some steel mesh under the cap setup... But more urgently I seem to be getting a lot of noise into the radio when the truck is running. Both the amp and radio have direct feeds to the battery...both pos&neg. Just wondering what I can do to fix this...there is a big difference between truck running and not running. I'm wondering if I can add caps to the power inputs on the amp and radio to try and filter out noise...

I should mention..I checked SWR after hooking up the amp. Both on and off I get an SWR of near zero.....is that correct? I kinda assumed the swr would go up adding the amp....

Not necessarily - adding any amp should not affect SWR - as from the standpoint of a simple system.

I'm sure someone may ask some questions on why you have a low SWR - but if you feel comfortable with how it's functioning (good DX contacts) run with it.

You kept the radio stock, nothing added - simple insert amp here and go.

Keep your stuff; tuned up, clean and run a good solid connection to all parts involved and you'll be fine.

:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
I should mention..I checked SWR after hooking up the amp. Both on and off I get an SWR of near zero.....is that correct? I kinda assumed the swr would go up adding the amp....
Check it on ch1 and then on ch40. I assume you are using an external meter after the amp. If its real low with and without the amp then I would say you are good to go. It also would be good to check the SWR between the radio and the amp if you haven't already.
Chris

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.