• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginning Shortwave Listener

Houdini22

Jan 21, 2022
Hello,
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm a long distance sailor planning an Atlantic crossing and cruising the UK and Ireland. I want to be able to listen to WWV for time checks as I plan to do celestial navigation and get marine weather forecasts. I recently bought a Tecsun PL-880. So far, all I get is static and noise day or night on shortwave. Can someone advise me? I've tried 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz. I can hear some ticking but very faint. I'm using the included external antenna.
Thanks!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Hello,

I am a newbie here and I hope I am posting in the right place. I have always been interested in radio and such equipment, and a few years ago I started to listen to shortwave. My only equipment were a stereo boombox, but later I got a Touring Studio 107 for free. I managed to catch a lot of interesting stations, but I was limite to only 1 shortwave band. However, I managed to find a Touring Professional 107 and I hope to buy it so I can listen to some shortwave!

Hello,
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm a long distance sailor planning an Atlantic crossing and cruising the UK and Ireland. I want to be able to listen to WWV for time checks as I plan to do celestial navigation and get marine weather forecasts. I recently bought a Tecsun PL-880. So far, all I get is static and noise day or night on shortwave. Can someone advise me? I've tried 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz. I can hear some ticking but very faint. I'm using the included external antenna.
Thanks!
Hey,

Did you ever get this figured out?

I just bought a PL-880 and am gonna try it with an active loop. I found it easy with the Northern Utah WebSDR site. I'll let you know how it goes with the Tecsun.
Where are you located? I'm in a really RF noisy environment. I have to try various antennas and move around with my Sony. The PL-880 absolutely booms local MW AM. My Sony does not. So, I'm hoping the PL-880 will do better with SW.

Ken

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
@Houdini22 ,

I did get WWV on 10000khz from inside my house, with just the telescoping whip antenna on the PL-880. It was faint and noisy. But voice was readable.

I already like this radio better than the Sony ICF SW7600GR.

The PL-880 is a stellar radio. You can either get an active loop antenna to put outside or just walk outside in the evening and get away from your house and you will see the PL-880 pull in quite a few stations pretty clear with just the stock antenna on it.

I immediately noticed the background static decrease pretty dramatically as well as my sw reception getting about 15-20' away from my house.

I'm by no means an expert just my own experience. I'm planning on getting a wellbrook setup down the road when I have some cash.

Hello,

I am a newbie here and I hope I am posting in the right place. I have always been interested in radio and such equipment, and a few years ago I started to listen to shortwave. My only equipment were a stereo boombox, but later I got a Touring Studio 107 for free. I managed to catch a lot of interesting stations, but I was limite to only 1 shortwave band. However, I managed to find a Touring Professional 107 and I hope to buy it so I can listen to some shortwave!
Hi hope all is well... If you are looking for some cool tips and tools check out our website and you can also register to get a FREE Shortwave radio call sign... Have fun its a great hobby with little restrictions .. awesome... 73's

time of day vs frequency makes all the difference in the world. you get 5 and 10 MHz at night, 10 and 15 MHz during the day. I never have got 2.5 or 20 MHz over years of listening.

they have WWVH in Hawaii doing the same thing. female voice.

check this out for all the other info you can get from that

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?