• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bend my Wilson?

stingray

Dec 12, 2008
my wilson 1000 is too darn tall on the roof of my Silverado! it is constantly banging on trees in my neighborhood and even got knocked down today by a low hanging branch. i was thinking, what if i bent a Z shape into it about half way up to make it shorter? i wonder how this would affect it?

Ha ha haaa!
That's really pretty funny - I really hope you are kidding. I often watch for low hanging branches and avoid them. A pain in the butt - no doubt. BTW-changing the shape of your antenna after it is tuned will DEFINITELY mess up the SWR and the ability to RX and TX> in other words - a big 'no'...

I never had a mobile radio that didn't have an antenna banging against something. IMO-The WORST experiences you can have with an antenna, is to go thru a fast food drive thru - and accidentally break overhead lights with the end of the antenna whip. Kinda embarrassing as well...

is to go thru a fast food drive thru - and accidentally break overhead lights with the end of the antenna whip. Kinda embarrassing as well...

I like hearing my 102" whip drag the roof.

Went through one with my tractor (Pete 377) and broke a french fry on the roof of the McDonalds.

My advice?

Get used to it.

Bending it will screw alot of things up, maybe send some signal at the roof giving high reflect.

Can you do it? Yes. Is it really worth doing? Not really, it will reduce the antenna's abilities to some indeterminable extent. You will have to re-tune the thing, and that can get real 'tricky' real quick. Not cheaper, but it'd be much simpler to just get a shorter antenna.
- 'Doc

:)

I used to run around with a 102 tied down to the back bumper, not all the way, just enough to make it go horizontal at the top. I changed my SWR a little, but not near enough to worry about.

Sure you can bend it, but you'd be better off just getting a shorter antenna if you can't live with the height of your existing one.

If you want to fix it, drill a proper hole in the roof, then it can bang around all day without falling over again.

The Wilson through-hole mount is water tight...I ran a 1k through the roof for years without a drop leaking and it was a much nicer performer centered in a metal roof than any of my side mounted or other mounted antennas.

Stick the rain cap on it when you sell and someone will just figure it is a GPS antenna or something like that. It's hardly noticeable.

It won't hurt the antenna to bang into branches nearly as much as if you bend it up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.