• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 2 Meter Mag mount that can be tuned to MURS?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I am looking for the best 2 meter mag mount that can be tuned to MURS, I would prefer a 5/8 wave. I know most of you will suggest a Larsen antenna, I am not impressed with those. I have been looking at the 2 meter 5/8 wave that Wilson offers but all the reviews say that the base cracks. Or if anyone is aware of a antenna actually made for MURS that would be great too.

T23

I am looking for the best 2 meter mag mount that can be tuned to MURS, I would prefer a 5/8 wave. I know most of you will suggest a Larsen antenna, I am not impressed with those. I have been looking at the 2 meter 5/8 wave that Wilson offers but all the reviews say that the base cracks. Or if anyone is aware of a antenna actually made for MURS that would be great too.

T23

Any 2M antenna should work for MURS band radios. The frequency of the MURS is higher than that of a 2M. So you would just have to trim a little. MURS is kind of a split band. Channels 1-5 are:
151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

I'd tune it for 153.300 and you should be about in the middle.

Reactions: 1 person
I am well aware of all the technical aspect of MURS and radio in general, I was asking of a paticular brand recommendation of an antenna that is built well and wouldnt have any charicteristics that would impede on tuning it.

I for one would be the first to recommend Larsen as they have stood the test of time with practically every emergency vehicle over the past couple decades being outfitted with one as well as my own experience with the Larsen line. What is it that you don't like about them? The Wilson antenna IIRC is the same one marketed and sold under the Radio Shack brand name and my opinion is that if it is good enough for Radio Shack to sell then there HAS to be something better. :laugh: Seriously though, I have heard of several cases where the coil housing has cracked on the Wilson's due to water ingress filling the HOLLOW coil base and then freezing.Maybe, and hopefully, they have cured that issue by now.

Well may be I am not seeing somthing, but where would I purchase the larson antennas online? I dont see much, could you direct me to a site? Do you have a paticular model in mind? I need a mag mount, drilling the roof is not an option...

T23

Any 2M antenna should work for MURS band radios. The frequency of the MURS is higher than that of a 2M. So you would just have to trim a little. MURS is kind of a split band. Channels 1-5 are:
151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

I'd tune it for 153.300 and you should be about in the middle.

Agreed. I've done this before. Take any 5/8 2M magnet mount and use an antenna analyzer or VHF SWR meter and start trimming the tip in 1/4" bits. Just watch the resonance get right or SWR come down until you get it where you want it.

You can mount the Comet CA-2X4SR on a mag mount if you want. That antenna is made to cover 2m/440 plus a much broader range.

Most ham radio stores sell Larsen antennas,you can also check out a commercial communications shop in your area,most all of them carry Larsen ...

In my area there is a small commercial comms shop,all they carry is Larsen

Southwest Communications ...Neosho Missouri

Murs Mobile

I use the Comet M-24 and it works fine. I do avoid Murs channels 4 & 5, these are old business channels, lots of places still use them. I also use a Wouxun HT with a battery eliminator, a heavy duty hand mic, and an antenna adapter. Use a little Velcro and you have a nice VHF/UHF/MURS/GMRS unit. Best of luck.

I use a 5/8 wave stainless marine VHF antenna made by Shakespeare for MURS, The SWR is pretty flat on the MURS frequency. I had to make my own mount for the antenna, there made to work without a ground so I you could figure out how to mount one on a magnet it would probably work pretty good!

I got it all setup now, a TYT 9000 with a 5/8 mag mount larson. The TYT is great it covers from 134 to 173 mhz out of the box.

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.