• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Antenna For a 18 Wheeler

Just .02 cents worth from the ol'Dawg.
I run Wilson 2000's on my car and truck. I do very well with a cobra 25ltd that has a "few options added". But I slip seat a lot. If I had a permenant truck, I think the monkeymade S-9
would be the way to go. I have travel partners that run them
and hear and talk to distant stations I don't hear. Just my .02 cents.
Ol'dawg on the side

save your money
get the dual coil 12 inch shaft
and run one antenna and you wont be sorry you did
and
if it has any impact on the convo

guy ran a 102 whip went to a monkey made did not like it then went to a coily ran coily for few years then here lately he got a 10k and he cand hear people that he has neve rbeen able to hear before

so if you want to spend money why not just send it to me
i will buy some more 10ks

I've got 2 10k's on my big truck, the right side takes a beating. Bent the stinger a little, got ahold of Kale and he sent new stingers right out. Have actually broke 2 mirror brackets before breaking the antennas.

I have broke 2 mirror mounts off and also ripped apart 2 of the heavy duty Astatic teardrop mounts. Not even a scratch to the 10K although I did cut the ball off of the end of the stinger so it would not catch on things.

I've had good luck with Wilson's they work fine...I ran a pair of Strykers for a few years, great antenna's just way to heavy I kept breaking mounts....I bought a 10K for my pickup and liked it so much I put it on the Pete as I'm in that much more than the F-150...I'll only be buying 10K's from now on, the pickup ended up with a 102" whip, that may get aced for another 10K...

As stated above Kale is a great guy, his customer service is just outstanding....... :D

No doubt about it, Kale is the best. I switched tractors from a 2002 International 9100 daycab (mostly fiberglass) to a 2006 International 8600 daycab (mostly steel). I had to shelve the 10K, unfortunately. When I hooked everything up, my swr reading was way too high and I couldn't get the 10K to tune. I tried both the 17" shaft and the 12" shaft (I think that is what the original is). This is on the back of the cab with the coax ran into the cab from underneath. I ended up putting my Wilson 5' fiberglass antenna back up on the back. Another driver with a 9200 daycab, Stryker 440 and a 4' Wilson on the back of his cab cannot hear as much as I can with my Stryker. I told him to get a longer antenna and to install the coax right (he has his ran through the gearshift boot--can you say "abrasion"?)

I've also had good luck with the wilson 2000. I run a log truck down here in Mississippi. Going in and out of the woods and through unbinding racks really takes a toll on an antenna and mount. I run the 5 in. shaft with a little "gangsta" lean to the front, the only way to get swrs down was to get it away from the exhaust.

In my experience's mounting behind the cab never worked. Put it on the mirror, give it a little lean and fire that mutha up.

I hear nothing but good about 10K's over the last few years via the Internet , been in this hobby for 20 years and they are not very porpular antenna's in the Los Angeles / Ontario area's (but neather are KL amps) I've seen the 10K's in a few styles and I just can't see one on my own personal ride (Just wouldn't look right to me , and would more then likely put to much attention my way) but I do realize your talking about the Big Rig here in this thread,so I say why not !! Wilson 1000s/2000s/5000s are very respectable performing antenna's no matter what kind of style or mounting that one would use on them, they are surely proven and reliable antenna's. Maybe not the best ,but proven all the same. I've ran 102 inchers and and 8 foot fiber glass antenna's over the years but in my experiance , the Wilson's held there own and I personally did not see much of a differance between the antenna's. I like the good looks and some what low profile of the Wilson's as well ,99% of the time the SWR on any of them are right in there from the get go !! (they have made it easy for this cb bozo when amps have been concerned over the years) all parts on Wilson's can be gotten without problems if needed. IM not trying to break land and sea records with any antenna ,but the Wilson line of antenna's has worked very well for me now for some 16 years or so. I personally can't say they are better then a 10K ,but they are a reliable receiving and transmitting antenna's. About a month ago I put a Wilson 2000 10 inch shaft on a buddies mobile home for him on his luggage rack in the back about 10 feet or so from the ground with 40 feet of mini 8 coax , the match was 1.2 around the band , totally sounds like a base station on wheels !! and he said it was the best receive he has had in as long as he could remember.

how do guys break those anyway ? 16 years and I have yet to see one burnt up let alone broken , but I did see some fried rg-58 on one once )-: it was kind of cool and stunk like hell . but the coil was good to go , I'd personally like to see what one looks like burnt up , I've heard guys talk about it ,but yet I haven't seen any personally. Hey ,there just a reliable antenna , honestly don't know what the best is ? I've more so then not heard the 102 inch SS is ,but were talking big rigs here , and where i can't fit a 102incher , a Wilson tends to do the trick . What are these guys doing to there Wilson loads to break them or burn them up ?

18 wheeler ant

Hi, here in the uk the American baseloaded springer does the job pre tuned and cheap at the price, performance is ok diff shades to match the truck-black-white blue red etc.. sharman whole sale. warhorse-uk.

Stinger gets caught in something and rips the coil wide open....Same thing happens on a 10K and you bust the mount. $10 mount or $60 antenna??? Easy choice on this end

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.