• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best base antenna for skip

May 10, 2014
My amax is working good,lots of very good signal reports,at 1/2 power ,mostly south,is there a 4 element beam,that I could run about 10ft above my deck that would be worth the investment ? Tech ham test soon.

a few to mention
1. srio D27- this is there dipole can mount it flatside for dx, ot verticle if wish
id mount it flatside with the imax2k directly above it
2.maco v quad - these work very well for dx.
both of these will need more height than ya listed however the maco only has a 5 or 6 foot
boom so its a small 2element beam.and the sirio if ya mount if flatside ya can
put it directly below the imax if it doesnt have a gpk on it.

Reactions: Tokin
My amax is working good,lots of very good signal reports,at 1/2 power ,mostly south,is there a 4 element beam,that I could run about 10ft above my deck that would be worth the investment ? Tech ham test soon.

You are aware that you could have a 10 element beam at 85' with a full KW and not talk as far as someone with a wire hanging in a tree? Its all about band conditions! Now that being said a simple dipole will do wonders and a good starting point.

You are aware that you could have a 10 element beam at 85' with a full KW and not talk as far as someone with a wire hanging in a tree?

No because that's total crap unless of course you think comparing station A to someone 3,000 miles away is a good way of comparing two antennas operated by the same person at one location.

Reactions: 2 people
You are aware that you could have a 10 element beam at 85' with a full KW and not talk as far as someone with a wire hanging in a tree? Its all about band conditions! Now that being said a simple dipole will do wonders and a good starting point.

No because that's total crap unless of course you think comparing station A to someone 3,000 miles away is a good way of comparing two antennas operated by the same person at one location.

Yeah but he didn't say how high the tree was or how much power to use. Maybe it was a Giant Sequoia with 5 or 10Kw. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 person
Nope thats total crap as well. The title of the thread is best antenna for talking skip was it not? I was just pointing out that "skip" is less a product of the antenna and more a product of mother nature. When the band is open ANY antenna will talk "skip" will it not? You know this is true.... get the signal in the air and let nature do its magic...

I give up....

Reactions: 4 people
Nope thats total crap as well. The title of the thread is best antenna for talking skip was it not? I was just pointing out that "skip" is less a product of the antenna and more a product of mother nature. When the band is open ANY antenna will talk "skip" will it not? You know this is true.... get the signal in the air and let nature do its magic...

I give up....

I think this guy is 100% right. When conditions are right I have shot skip with a 29 and a K 30 antenna. Unless you run enough power to make your own conditions mother nature is the most important thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people
Want a 4 element beam that is better than a IMax, and is capable of going from vertical to horizontal by just flipping a switch? ...

This is what I use, and is like day and night difference in DX from the ground plane I was using...

beam4.jpg

Lightning L4 Quad....

When the band is open ANY antenna will talk "skip" will it not?

Indeed it will however when the band starts to close in your area as the sun goes away, some antennas will allow you to continue working more than others.

Also a dipole might be great but if you're in the north east wanting to work Europe you're going to be getting the rest of America stomping all over them.

And because of ground reflection, a horizontal antenna half a wavelength up or more is automatically going to have several dBi more gain than a vertical.

But what do I know about anything?

Reactions: 3 people
People in my neck of the woods are using beam antennas more and more nowadays along with a higher contact success rate. I've been listening to Motor Mouth Maul on his CP antenna. I still want to make a CP antenna just to see how it performs.

Indeed it will however when the band starts to close in your area as the sun goes away, some antennas will allow you to continue working more than others.

Also a dipole might be great but if you're in the north east wanting to work Europe you're going to be getting the rest of America stomping all over them.

And because of ground reflection, a horizontal antenna half a wavelength up or more is automatically going to have several dBi more gain than a vertical.

Love the links. :) Congrats!

Brett

I am not questioning your "credentials" nor anyone else, I was just pointing out that based on the title of this thread there is clearly NO BEST antenna for DX. One antenna might work good on one day or even hour and another might work good on a different day.

I have been very happy with my fan dipole; is it the best? No of course not but it works, didn't cost me thousands of $ and has allowed me to work just about everywhere I want to. I will be putting up a Hex Beam this summer just because I want to build one to play with, not because I need it. At this time I am only 2 away from my DXCC, finally got a VK the other day. For me that is enough, I have no desire to be a big contester. I am very happy being a little fish in a big pond.

Enjoy your awards, you clearly earned them with lots of hard work and $$$ spent.

Conditions are fading........ I am out....

I was just pointing out that based on the title of this thread there is clearly NO BEST antenna for DX.
True...Yes, you can talk DX with a ground plane or dipole, but when the airways are crowded, you need all the help you can get to get thru the mess...And that's where a beam antenna will out perform any ground plane antenna out there since they magnify your power and signal...More elements you have, more signal you have getting magnified so people on the other end can hear you threw all the noise.

With a beam, you can hear stations in DX that otherwise you wouldn't even know was there...

And they work just as well for local stations if you have one with dual polarity so you can switch to vertical for local.

There is one downside to beams tho, and that is they are directional, so when local talking you may find yourself having to turn the house around allot to talk to your buddies in your area...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.