• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best base mic for uniden washington

the 2018/148 combo sounded nice . i am expecting the 2018 to do a great job on the washington , but i would like a nice desk mic for it , it just seems ......... more right . if the 2018 does a incredible job though ........ ;)

rob, that 2018 sounded very clear and loud. thanks for that, its the first time ive heard one of those mics.

your friend Russ was way overmodulated. LOL that is the classic 148, clip R131, turn the mic gain on the radio all the way up sound. cant tell really, but i think he was running a power mic as well.

i used to be a die hard power mic user, base and mobile. now i dont run any power mics in the mobile. once i realized how much background noise there always is in a mobile environment, and that my mic was amplifying it along with my voice, i tried an astatic 636 noise canceling mic and i will never go back.

if you get a good radio that can be made louder internally without ruining the sound, like the 148 type uniden chassis, the 25/29LTD radios, and the galaxy type radios; there is no need for a power mic and all it does is make your audio noisier.

i think power mics in the mobile are like 92 octane gas, many people think its better for their car, but its actually for certain specific situations only.

im just putting my opinion out there, not trying to convince anyone of anything. LOL

BOOTY, if you are thinking about using a D104 you need to know that the non amplified D104's are a HI-Z (impedance) mic, and modern solid state radios are LO-Z mic inputs.

therefore, if you want to use a non amplified D104 with your washington, you will have to buy and install a little circuit for it that converts it from HI to LO impedance to match your radio's input impedance.

i have seen them before online, and i think on ebay, but i cant remember exactly where.

one thing you could do is put the Xtreme 2018 circuitry and element in a D104 body.

i would only do this if the D104 circuitry and element were shot.

BTW- i love this idea of people making videogates about what different setups sound like.
maybe there should be a section of the forum where someone records what another local sounds like, and lists the setup, including the type of radio used, the mods done to the radio, the type of mic used, and what both are set at.

i for one would really enjoy knowing what type of setup im listening to.

later,
LC

LC: If you listen to my radio in the first half of the 'gate, I am using a D104/M6 on a galaxy DX 99V and a Wilson 1000 mag mount on the roof of the car. They work great on ANY radio - you should only use one in a car if the car is really quiet inside - IMO. It sounds XLNT - and NO PROBLEMS...

Russ's radio - the Cobra 148 GTL - is a bone-stock radio - just like my 148 GTL is. Nothing has been clipped. He is using a noise-canceling 'SkyThumper' mic. They look identical to a Turner RoadKing 56 - but modulate to the max w/o ANY road noise getting into the mic. He also has a Texas Star DX 399 and a predator 10k...Bodacious? YES!!!

Booty Mon - LC is right about the difference in impedance of a non-amplified mic to an amplified mic. The mic amp circuit also matched the impedance as well as creating gain in the mic circuit. Two transistors cascade to create gain and match the impedance of a Hi-impedance mic to a low-impedance radio mic input. That is why I would get an amplified D104 rather than an unamplified one.

D104's are only noisey on a base IF YOU HAVE A NOISEY BACKGROUND. Take away the noise - and they are beautifully sensitive and clean. Don't be put off for that reason. Just because someone used one of these mics and didn't consider the background noise - it is certainly NO REASON to fault the mic. Fault the operator - where the blame belongs...

A friend using this device in Turkiye. I have never seen such powerful and deep modulation capability ever. So I guess it will be perfect whatever you connect :)

still got the radio . tried a 636 , a 56K , a cobra coffin mic , a D104 power mic and a new stock uniden mic . i always got the best comments using my 2018 xtreme mic with the NC circuit on . it's louder with the NC off ...... but then it pick ups background noise . i would love to try a old school turner +3 on it though .... and a new 878 DM .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.