• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best clarifier unlock for a philly Uniden Grant XL?

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Hello fellow CBers,

Got a Uniden Grant XL that I am looking to do the clarifier mod. After looking for a bit, it seems that there is a few mods you can do for it, but the only one that made sense to do was the following:

Jump r175
remove r100
jump d51
remove r139
remove r44
disconnect clarifier lead and connect topin 3 of ic4 (8.2 volts)
replace r174 with 3k3
run a 12k res. from the d51 jumper in series and connect to pin 3 also.

That was from a post on here that Fdtrucker around 2005. Though the only thing that I may not enjoy is the 6 Kc of slide on either side. Is it possible to just unlock the clarifier and retain the stock slide of KCs on either side?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just posted the "simple" version for the Philippine Cobra 148. Remove a diode to shut down the transmit-only side, pull one end of a wire out of the receive-only trace, and move it to a 8 Volts all-the-time trace. Doesn't change the coverage range of the knob, only "locks" transmit frequency to the receiver frequency.

The Grant XL should be nearly identical, except maybe for the wire color.

Thank you so much. Shortly afterwards I recalled the post you made the other week. :) It just looked a bit different, but you are right on it basically being identical.

For some reason though, the TX pot had to be more than half in order for it to be more centered. I did adjust the LSB/USB adjustments inside with the 12'0 on the clarifier, but if the TX pot was lower than half, then it was way out of range.

Otherwise, RX/TX follow eachother now. Thanks again. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.