• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best HT under $100?

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I am looking for an HT to mess with until I get my ticket. Having never used one, I really don't know what features I need, or what is availible. I was thinking about ordering the Baofeng uv-82, but I thought I would check here to see if there is something else I should be looking at. I figured I would keep this one cheap because I'm sure I'd upgrade pretty quick if I like it. Thanks

I did the same thing before I got my Technician ticket. :) I have two of the UV-82's, and love 'em. Previously used the UV-5R, which I don't care for as much. Main reason is the ergonomics of the 82 fits my hand better, and it has a much bigger heat sink that keeps the radio cooler on long transmissions. The display doesn't seem to fade like the 5R does when it gets hot, either. So far, the button print has stayed good, where it did not on my 5R. Transmit and receive seems to be about the same. I'm a very casual HT user, and only talk on it to hit a local club repeater. I added the Nagoya NA-24A, which is a much longer antenna than stock, and it is pretty thin and flexible. Seems to be a great antenna, and I like it better than the heavier/thicker NA-771. There are other models of Baofeng/Pofung HT's out there, but I have not tried them since I liked my 82's so much. Cheap enough to try any of them, though!

Brett

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Honestly it the best of the Boafeng's. I have had one for a while now and it works great. There is also its sister the B6, only difference is the B5 has a rotary knob on top for freq change and the B6 uses buttons and has the flashlight.

Shhh this is a secret.. the B5 will do 220 as well, not great but it will. :)

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
There is a great US Baofeng site that has a nice comparison sheet. I will post it next time I'm on my laptop.

Brett

I have purchased like 5 different radios from this site:
PoFung UV-82US latest version Dual Band/Dual watch
Baofung GT-3TP...8 watt latest version Dual Band/Dual watch x 2 (gave these away as Gifts)
TYT UV800 10 watt Dual Band/Dual watch

All have descent RX and have worked well as Through and Go mobile rigs.
If you can't find what your looking for on this site...Then I am not sure where to tell you to look. I have got the combo package on every one. Spkr. Mic/charger/mobile plug upgraded antenna and extra batteries...they have it all...and pricing and shipping to boot!
All the Best
Gary

https://www.radioddity.com/us/

Reactions: 2RT307
I have been playing the Chinese HT game for a while and overall most of them work well but all have some idiosyncrasies to them. Here are the models I have owned -

Puxing PX-2r UHF Only
Baofeng UV-5r Dual
Baofeng UV-B5 Dual
Feidaxin FDC-160A VHF Only
Wouxun UV-1DP Dual

Here is my over all rating:

Build Quality -

1.) Puxing PX-2R – Solidly build, as good as any of the big three
2.) Wouxun UV-1DP – Almost as good as the Puxing
3.) Feidaxin FDC-160A – Solid case but buttons hard to reach
4.) Baofeng UV-B5 – Rounded and fits hand nicely but typical Baofeng quality
5.) Baofeng UV-5R – Square, buttons loose, typical UV-5R but I have owned it for 4 years now and it still works.

Usability -

1.)Puxing PX-2R – menu functions, LCD display and overall performance is the best.
2.) Baofeng UV-B5 – Solid performance and simple menus functions.
3.) Feidaxin FDC-160A – Simple display and great performance but no alphanumeric display.
4.) Baofeng UV-5R – well documented issues but it does work. Receive is easily overloaded.
5.) Wouxun UV-1DP – Great mono-band dual band radio, The one I had was totally deaf on UHF.

We don't have any HT snobs iny club, so there's no "fear" of talking on one. That being said, my main mobile is a Kenwood TM-V71A. I have talked on my HT's, and folks thiught I was on my mobile... just to let you know they sound very good.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated