• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Radio for mobile dx

For mobile I just like old school Grant XL or LTs with a Wilson 1000. They have good receive and usually won't get stolen like an expensive export will. I do like to take my Magnum 257HP on road trips though.

Ranger 3900 eghp is a stable radio if u are thinking of 3900. I have heard bad drift in Ss3900 unfortunetly.

ANY export that is not CPU controlled will drift on SSB. That means any 3900 series radio old or new will drift. Sorry, thats the way it is.

Wow last year when the DX was smoken we heard some Peter Beaters...... er I mean meter beaters talking some skip. Time for a new name in DX land dude. Sorry but just giving you the local opinion. We did have a good laugh though.

Last edited:
9c1driver, u are contradicting urself because the s9 that u say is so stable is a clone of 3900 anyway it all comes down to part and build quality. Both my grant classic 120 ch and tristar 747 are rock stable from cold and the 747 has a 10 turn pot. Micro controlled Radios are a good design for stability and ease of use but there is no doubt the older designs cause less reciever hash

Cobra 146GTL, President AR-144/AX-144/PC-244/P300, Realistic TRC-451 with either a chipswitch or a Galaxy "N" kit for freeband channels is the best radios for DX, IMO. Super stable, always on frequency, no drift, TX/RX are superb. I've tried the rest, and I run the best in both my vehicles.

I run a 146GTL in my Jeep, and a President P300 in my car. Talked to Australia the other day in my car running just my President P300 with a stock mic and a Wilson 1000 trunklid mount antenna with no amplification (I don't have an amplifier in either vehicle).

Just my .02 worth, whichever radio/setup you choose, just have fun with it!

~Cheers~

Reactions: Cabover Bob
ANY export that is not CPU controlled will drift on SSB. That means any 3900 series radio old or new will drift. Sorry, thats the way it is.

Wow last year when the DX was smoken we heard some Peter Beaters...... er I mean meter beaters talking some skip. Time for a new name in DX land dude. Sorry but just giving you the local opinion. We did have a good laugh though.

Thats all right. I just use that handle when Im talking to Needlebender as a joke. I just use 724 most of the time.

Where do you plan on buying the radio?

well I seen em on amazon because here on panama nobody sell em but I did a deal maybe no was good deal but some days ago I was trilling to sell a 29 ltd bt was as new for get money for buy a 2970n2 but a boy tell me about change for a ss3900hp black but the radio was old but work fine was good deal? I mean a 29ltd bt new for a ss3900hp used? anyway I will continue whit my idea of try to sell that for get some money for a 2970n2 =)other question the superstar 3900 and the ss3900hp is same radio? wicth is better?

other question the superstar 3900 and the ss3900hp is same radio? wicth is better?

the difference is the ss3900 only has one final transistor where the ss3900hp has dual final transistors, the power output on the hp version is double that of a standard 3900, but the extra heat created may affect frequency stability as these radios are very sensitive to heat which causes drifting.

both generally use the same circuit board so both should be equally good outwith the extra heat.

on superstar radios:

hp - stands for high power,

e - stands for echo,

eghp - stands for echo,gold bezel/knobs,high power,

hpef - would be high power,echo and frequency counter built in.

el - stands for electro luminesence.

theres probably others too.

i have always preferred a radio/amp combo, so if for some reason the amp dies you can still run the radio barefoot but i may sell my 2970 i run as a base for that N2

I hear this argument all the time, but TBH I've had more problems with radios than amplifiers. I've only owned 2 mobile amps, but I never had a problem with either of them. Radios on the other hand, I've had channel selectors act up, cold solder joints to cause problems, mics to cause problems etc etc.

Anyway, I pulled the last amplifier I had in my truck along with all the extra coax and power wires associated with it and replaced it and the radio with an N2 and couldn't be happier.

I hear this argument all the time, but TBH I've had more problems with radios than amplifiers. I've only owned 2 mobile amps, but I never had a problem with either of them. Radios on the other hand, I've had channel selectors act up, cold solder joints to cause problems, mics to cause problems etc etc.

Anyway, I pulled the last amplifier I had in my truck along with all the extra coax and power wires associated with it and replaced it and the radio with an N2 and couldn't be happier.

there is validity to that argument, if it's the radio that blows you still have the amp to use on another radio,(do you know any cb'er with only 1 radio?) if both are combined your pretty much f@cked till its repaired/replaced.

plus with the type of radios your talking about i doubt very much an internal high power pa creating lots of heat is ideal in radios that are known to be temperature sensitive to drifting. i may be wrong, rci may have installed the godfathers patented nitrogen cooling system in their latest lot of N2's.

plus with the type of radios your talking about i doubt very much an internal high power pa creating lots of heat is ideal in radios that are known to be temperature sensitive to drifting. i may be wrong, rci may have installed the godfathers patented nitrogen cooling system in their latest lot of N2's.
It's all in the tune. Meter watchers will have problems with radios like the N2, but run properly there shouldn't be any issues ......... I haven't experience any problems yet anyway.

It's all in the tune. Meter watchers will have problems with radios like the N2, but run properly there shouldn't be any issues ......... I haven't experience any problems yet anyway.

only problem i have with it and any radio that looks like it is i'm pissed off hearing "are you a taxi mate?" its the ugliest radio series ever made.

only problem i have with it and any radio that looks like it is i'm pissed off hearing "are you a taxi mate?" its the ugliest radio series ever made.

It took awahile for me to make that leap from the traditional "CB radio" look, but it atually looks nice with my interior, and I've grown to like it.

ty for the help bout "hp"at the model.. yesterday I did 2 dx no was bad because here I live is alot of thres etc but I have a small problem whit it ss3900 hp when I had the 29ltd my swr was 1.1 good ground etc now when I use it radio I get 2.5 and I cant get it down I check ground and is fine check coax is fine too then I use a external swr meter nd say is 1.2 and when I use the radio swr t say 2.5 wht iswrong?

I agree 100%. I have run a "Golden Goose", i.e.: a General Grant for almost three years now, with zero problems. It's stock except for the freq. expansion, and I run it into a 1.1:1 VSWR. I don't abuse it. Also, I use it in the base. I'm going to be purchasing two more "Big Radios": the Ranger 69FFC2, and the S9-175. I don't anticipate any problems with those either. They will both be used in the base too. The thing that blows up mobiles is voltage spikes and bad voltage regulation, bad VSWR, and mostly, over-peaking and cranking the power up. I find virtually all "peak-and-tune" to be worthless, unless its a proper factory tune-up. Every radio I have run, I have run stock (freq. expansion excluded). They have never croaked on me.

Amps are the same. Watch your input voltage, watch your VSWR, and most important, don't over drive the thing!!! But then, all I have ever run are proper, class AB, hi-drive amps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.