• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Way To Repair Burnt Trace?

RCIGuy

Jan 16, 2023
Working on a cobra 29LTD Classic, (mfg1996) received it DOA, no mods done to it, factory stock, doesnt power on. Checked protection diode and it shows continuity on the 2 leads, should not be that way correct? (diode location in pic at arrows) also as you can see there is a burnt trace just below it. Im thinking it was hooked up backwards? that caused these 2 problems. What would be a good way to go about fixing that trace, i have not done one before.

trace2.jpg

A quick check of the protection diode will reveal that it's shorted. The foil trace becomes an auxiliary fuse when the rating on the one in the fuseholder is 20 or 30 Amps. We routinely scrape off enough of the green mask paint to lap-solder a wire across the gap. Clipped-off leftover leads from resistors or capacitors work just fine.

This is why we adopted the habit of soldering a 6-Amp rectifier across the inside of the power socket. That way the fault current doesn't travel through the radio.

Repaired it with piece of solder braid, it was the same width as the trace, it came out ok. tested/replaced the protection diode and radio is now working fine. Did the alignment per cbtricks info, made a world of difference on the rx side and just a tad more tx watts. Pairs up nicely with my ts 350hd.

Probably add the 6 amp rectifier you suggested, with the bad diode i found that every component on the entire board had voltage to it, not cool.
Thanks for the tips/info guys, very much appreciated.

Never hurts to cover the repair to prevent oopsies....

Amazon product ASIN B07B8RY7M6

Reactions: RCIGuy and Low_Boy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.