• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

better then 102" whips?

kamikaze701st

Apr 21, 2009
anyone know or recommend some antennas for a mobile running 500 watts of power that work well in a co-phased setup? i have another post on here stating the problems with my 102's, so i am looking for alternative antenna options. i like the co-phase look (i.e.: two antennas), and want to run some power to get over the trash (500w max). anyone have any suggestions?

see if you can get a pair of predator 10K or some other big coil.

Also, the reason for duals seems to be for looks. Why don't you try to feed one of the 102 whips and mount the other as a dummy.

That will perform better anyway, then you get better performance and the looks you want.

see if you can get a pair of predator 10K or some other big coil.

Also, the reason for duals seems to be for looks. Why don't you try to feed one of the 102 whips and mount the other as a dummy.

That will perform better anyway, then you get better performance and the looks you want.

Or another thought...
You can have an antenna switch and change them. This way, you can become more directional by just flipping the switch!
Of course, this will mean two separate coax (50 ohm), another 3 ft jumper, and buying a good switch after the amp. Could be pretty nice!

You cant technically do a cophased setup correctly on a vehicle. There simply isnt enough distance to work with. Yes you can get them to work, but the tx pattern looks awfull! There are lobes and nulls all over the place. Besides that, the formula for doing a correct setup is just too complex, One antenna has to Tx before the other, One needs to be slightly more elevated and so on. And even after you have gone through all of that, you now can talk great out the sides of your truck with diminshed forward and backward radiation, thanks to the mutal reactance of the two antennas acting similar to a dipole.

I believe in wilson 1000 or 2000 to be the best antenna. Ive tried alot and I always come back to them!

i am mainly going for the look, but i have a spot i like to shoot skip from, so a little directional bias is ok from front to back. i also believe strongly in the wilson antennas, i just dont like the look of the load in the middle of the antenna. i have tried just using one antenna, but with the other whip still mounted it throws the swr way off. coils might be my next step, but im not sure if i like the look of the coil hanging around in the middle of the antenna. thanks for the advice. im gonna keep trying different things until i get the match down.

You can keep those Wilson antennas.
They never did much for me.

CoPhasing antennas on a typical car just doesn't sense.
As explained earlier the pattern will not work out to your benifit
(however if you are doing this on a Tractor trailer truck then is OK )
There would be a loss both forward and back of the car.
While to left and right would be a gain.
But in looking at the lobes..there are other issues as well

the 102 whip is always a good antenna and pretty hard to beat
However it is not my 1st choice..
instead i prefer the big coil type of antennas

Likely the best of the Big Coil antennas currently is the..
Predator 10K although...
back in the day i used to use the Penetrator D-2600

I wonder which would do better today
my older Penetrator D-2600 or todays Predator 10K
Or maybe some of the other currant big coil antennas

a friend of mine has a set of browning coil antennas on his pickup and has a flat match all the way across. i thought about trying those, but i dont want the same thing, i would like to be different. maybe the k40 coil antenna i saw at the pilot down the road? are those worth the 70 bucks or not?

Cophasing two (or more) antennas can be made to work on a mobile. There are problems associated with it, doesn't really matter what antennas you want to use. Probably the biggest problem is distance between antennas. Something like 1/4 wave length is the 'minimum' that's usable for a half-way directional radiation pattern. That directional radiation pattern is the only really good reason for cophasing antennas. That directional thingy isn't just limited to one (bidirectional) direction, you can switch it 90 degrees without too much trouble. And since that directional thingy is pretty 'broad', never gonna be razor 'sharp', you can cover all directions pretty well. It can get complicated, but it's certainly 'do-able'.
There's no accounting for taste in 'looks', yours, mine, whatshisname's. 'Looks' doesn't do anything for performance.
Running high power. That's a completely different thing all together. Get the antenna system working, then worry about power. One problem at a time, otherwise you'll drive your self nuts.
There is no 'sure thing' when doing cophasing. Unless you can get me to do it for you! Bring lots of money! (I can be bribed with beer.)
- 'Doc

...that's not gonna work, is it...

anyone know or recommend some antennas for a mobile running 500 watts of power that work well in a co-phased setup? i have another post on here stating the problems with my 102's, so i am looking for alternative antenna options. i like the co-phase look (i.e.: two antennas), and want to run some power to get over the trash (500w max). anyone have any suggestions?

Just wondering...you didn't say, but what are these antenna's on, and are they set "One on each side of the vehicle" or "One in front of the other, from front to back?"

As for spending $70 for a K40...You can get a Predator 10K for about that, and it's a much better antenna....

id stay far away from k40. they tune up nice but they cant handle power
very well. if yor gonna spend 70 bucks id get a wilson 1k/5k predator10k
if ya dont like the coil in middle of antenna just get a wilson 1000 magnet mount
or try that browning coil antenna.as far as duals imo thier not worth it if ya
like the 102 just use it as one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1