1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Bezel Refurbishment

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by TheRealPorkchop, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

I’ve been looking at options to refurb the plastic chrome bezels on some of these radios I’ve got laying around. The “chrome” paint definitely isn’t an option, I thought I’d found one that would work but no.

Trying to find someone that can redo the chrome on plastic is turning into a nightmare also. And some of these are impossible to find replacements for, such as the Magnum S9.

So what have you guys done to make beat up bezels look better? I’ve thought about hydro dipping but nothing beats chrome, I’m old school. What’s out there that I’m not thinking about or overlooking? The guy that powder coats all my amps says you can’t powder coat it because you’d have to strip the chrome off and plus it’s plastic. Probably wouldn’t like being baked and it being plastic.

Anybody got a solution, a fairly inexpensive one?

Rwb likes this.

2. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

20180922_094906.jpg
    Just a cover decal mt dew sales on ebay makes original and custom decals but the chrome is another matter .if just scratched might try majic wadding chrome cleaner and polish,the truckers friend

3. TheRealPorkchop

I’ve seen the aftermarket faceplates and I’m just not a fan, nothing beats the original in my opinion. For the S9, I can’t get the factory one but I can get the one that was included in the box with the flag. Close enough I guess and the distributor has a small boat load of those.

I’m more worried about that chrome bezel. And that’s just on the S9, not to mention the few others I have. Of course, a lot of those are still available, if I don’t fool around too long.

4. TheRealPorkchop

Thinking about it, I converted this S9 to an S-980. Now I need a matching meter (insert string of profanity here).

Why can’t I leave well enough alone?

As Bobby told his momma in The Water Boy, “no momma, the search continues”.

Rwb likes this.
  5. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

look into Spectra chrome

Rwb likes this.
  6. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

a long time ago I use to use model car chrome on small chips. if you took your time with it it did a nice job. you could even thin it a little and use a air brush sprayer and it came out nice. this was only for small chrome chips. never did try a large area.

Rwb likes this.
  7. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

painters tape

Rwb likes this.
  8. TheRealPorkchop

Yes, if previous owners or repair guys had used painters tape then maybe it wouldn’t be trashed. Too late for it now though.

I shall investigate the spectra chrome.

Rwb likes this.
  9. TheRealPorkchop

Uh, holy sweet lord... I’ll sign up for the Spectra Chrome but every single one of you guys on this forum has to sign up for something to be chromed by me. That system is freakin’ expensive but it does look to be a great option.

Wow.

Rwb and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  10. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

Let me think
    Old guy i used to truck for had a saying
    CHROME
    WONT GET YOU HOME

11. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Sr. Member

faceplates can be fixed fairly easy by just finding a faceplate sticker for your radio and just remove the knobs and stick it on...As for the bezel, if it were me I would just sand it down and paint it a simi-gloss or egg shell black...you could even paint it whatever color you want, and paint the case to match...

I've done this with a couple of D 104 Mic's I bought that the chrome was all pitted and rusty looking and IMO they turned out pretty good!

You first have to sand down the chrome with very-fine sand paper, then use self-etching primer before the final color is applied.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also replaced the mic elements in these with some new ones I bought off ebay.

12. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

believe they have chrome wrap they use on cars could be another option.

Rwb likes this.
  13. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Active Member

Spray can Plastidip. Walmart. Paint dept. Reworked my bezel with it. Although I took the time to remove the chrome first, sanded with med grit sanding block, applied tree coats. The multiple applications fill in the scratches from the sanding. Been running on tree years now through wind, rain, sand, salt, bugs. Just wash it off with a pressure washer and comes clean every time. Nice matte black finish.

[NOTE] The bezel in the mention above is the one on the front of my Dodge Ram.

jessejamesdallas and Rwb like this.
  14. TheRealPorkchop

The mics look freaking great, nice job!

I’m a chrome guy though, I like things to look factory. I’m looking into the options here though, there has to be a simple and easy solution to this problem. Wrap is a good idea, wonder how close to the factory chrome that will come?

The Spectra Chrome is BA. there’s another called PC Chrome too, been considering that one cause it’s a lot of cheaper. Well, it’s expensive to start with but if I do enough of them then it’ll pay for itself.

Rwb likes this.
  15. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

Its
    only money,our government prints lots daily lol