• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Big Hair antennas ???????

Of the currently (no pun intended) known chemical elements, silver is the best electrical conductor within the normal range of temperatures. Still, for antennas, it doesn't make any difference outside of a laboratory with some sophisticated (and expensive) testing equipment. For yagis, verticals and other antennas that have to support their own weight, aluminum is far better than copper.

If copper were in fact a better antenna material, there wouldn't be any aluminum beams out there. In point of fact, there aren't any COPPER beams out there -- at least not commercial ones.

Linear.., if you read it, the statement is correct. Fiberglass is a great electrical insulator, but is transparent at RF. This is why fiberglass antennas work well. It protects the copper, and makes a strong antenna support, similar to Aluminum. It has near 0 dielectric loss, and high voltage protection.

Coil Q is also dependent upon frequency, meaning in the lower HF bands, with a lot of shortening, a high Q is very difficult, however at CB frequencies, and with less shortening of antenna lengths, higher Q is more easily found.. Even a Wilson 5000 mobile antenna has a very high Q at 27mhz.

If you go to the Wilson 5000 website, (which is a much smaller silver plated coil) states a Q of 864. So an esimated Q of 1000 is reasonable at this frequency. Q factor goes way down, as you go down in frequency, and the more you shorten an antenna. These are full sized 5/8th wave base antennas at 27mhz, so the figures are more reachable.

Fiberglass is transparent at RF, but electrically is a great high voltage insulator. So his claims are based on fact, and I am probably the only one of the thread that has heard his antennas, so I know they work. He just doesn't seem to make them very often, or desires to sell them.

The silver plating, now I agree, this is more for the perfectionist, but if you have the money, you may want to try it. Those with endless pockets, an need absolute the highest performance such as the military and broadcast stations do almost always use silver plated components with their antennas, RF amplifiers, and related. Actually even the higher dollar Amateur Radio antenna tuners silver plate their inductors to reduce losses, so there must be at least some benefit to doing this.

Copper is definately weaker than aluminum, but if making the antenna out of fiberglass, this is irrelevant, as the fiberglass is the structural part of the antenna, and copper wire inside is just the electrical component of the antenna.

Again, paying the extra money to buy silver plated parts, that's your call. Copper is very close, so if using fiberglass, I think it would be very tough to see the difference on the meter, but there is a very small gain difference.

Last edited:
Just Curious...???

...Has anyone emailed these people, and gotten a reply..?:confused:
I have sent SEVERAL emails inquiring about the IMAX Modification, and have gotten
NO reply. Are these guys still in business, or does anyone know..?:confused:
Thanks,(y)

Big Hair doesn't make antennas anymore, unfortunately. I know a few who had them, and they kicked @ass!!! There is a few guys in Ohio and Indiana that has some, and a guy in New York that beats up the superbowl with one.

At one time, he was making them for free or charged for the parts only. I don't even think he participates in the hobby anymore, but does something with Engineering at the commercial level.

Big Hair doesn't make antennas anymore, unfortunately. I know a few who had them, and they kicked @ass!!! There is a few guys in Ohio and Indiana that has some, and a guy in New York that beats up the superbowl with one.

At one time, he was making them for free or charged for the parts only. I don't even think he participates in the hobby anymore, but does something with Engineering at the commercial level.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate that alot.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.