• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BIG truck antenna mount/install LOCATION ???

number 9

Jun 29, 2018
Yes , i did a search. everywhere. iv yet to find a decent location for an 11 meter 27 MHz sirio 89" steel whip on Paccar trucks (Pete/KW) steel dump body. i had a Mack where i fabricated a 6x6" steel plate / Wilson5k mag mount on the battery box. that had excellent 1:1 ratio. the problem now is the lower mirror bar height. batt box idea wont do in this app.

thinking about a side dump body mount now . The body measures 17'6" . so that means atleast {45} 50' of coax to reach the interior cab console. ground plane ? bonding ? grounding ?

any ideas or chimes are greatly appreciated !

A picture or three will help. What model truck?

(I’ve had a difficult time after logging in, almost can’t post it’s impossibly slow, otherwise I’d have answered earlier. Seems I’m the only truck driver around . . not).

1). What height restrictions do you face?

With a T680 + 53’ van I run cophase to 14’ while OTR. Getting them above the trailer is a real help. Aftermarket mirror mounts.

2). Gear all sounds good. I think it’s “the picture” that we are missing in order to visualize.

Apologize this thread got missed. Welcome to WWDX!

Like Slowmover requested, a pic would be great assistance. This may be urban legend, but I had more than old CB tech tell me when everything else fails on the big dumps, mount a 102 inch whip and spring on drivers side from bumper corner. He had also mentioned using 21 feet of coax. It would be mounted like a corner marker. I have come across big dumps with setups like this in the past. I know I am not discussing your Siro. but if all else fails, I hope this idea may help.

Last edited:
I always mount on the drivers side. Less trees to rip it off the truck. I tip the antenna down a bit so it is tipped further forward for even more clearance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.