• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird dummyload acting up

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
Years ago i bought a cheap 250w bird load off Ebay, when it arrived it measured 60ohm on a fluke 87,
its been cooked so its no good for accurate power readings but ok for other tests, it ended up in the garrage forgotten about,

i came across it the other day & decided to put it to use, i checked it again and wtf it measured 280ohms & climbing, prodded around hoping for a better connection but no joy :(,

tipped it on its back & removed the clamp to extract the resistor, removed the black cone around the resistor & pulled resistor out,

there was a greenish black coating almost everywhere on the cone & the ends of the resistor but the oil was clear, i gave it a clean & measured it,
it was all over the place depending where and how hard i pressed the test leads against it,

i decided its fcked as it is so i can't hurt anything & gently polished the ends of the resistor and the cone back to shiny copper to ensure the best connection possible & measured it again, 51ohm including the test leads anywhere i make a connection on the ends,

I put it back together & tested it with rf, it measures flat on minivna & uhf & almost zero reflect with 300w+ on hf :D

what i learned is don't throw your faulty oil filled loads away, clean them up first, they may not be cooked at all.

Years ago i bought a cheap 250w bird load off Ebay, when it arrived it measured 60ohm on a fluke 87,
its been cooked so its no good for accurate power readings but ok for other tests, it ended up in the garrage forgotten about,

i came across it the other day & decided to put it to use, i checked it again and wtf it measured 280ohms & climbing, prodded around hoping for a better connection but no joy :(,

tipped it on its back & removed the clamp to extract the resistor, removed the black cone around the resistor & pulled resistor out,

there was a greenish black coating almost everywhere on the cone & the ends of the resistor but the oil was clear, i gave it a clean & measured it,
it was all over the place depending where and how hard i pressed the test leads against it,

i decided its fcked as it is so i can't hurt anything & gently polished the ends of the resistor and the cone back to shiny copper to ensure the best connection possible & measured it again, 51ohm including the test leads anywhere i make a connection on the ends,

I put it back together & tested it with rf, it measures flat on minivna & uhf & almost zero reflect with 300w+ on hf :D

what i learned is don't throw your faulty oil filled loads away, clean them up first, they may not be cooked at all.

Bob, it has always amused me how everyone trusts their Bird. In a previous job we received a lot kit from various departments, and one of them would send their RF kit to us to check. There was boxes of Birds , loads and cables, all suspect.
So the moral is, don't trust one reading from one device, it may not be what you think.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?