• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird meter

Good luck with it. $199.00 for one element.

And used slugs are really a crap shoot since it is easy to find videos on the web that show how to open and " recalibrate " slugs.

""We offer a bird slug tune up service.
Is your bird meter reading to low?
We can fix that for you, for $57.37 plus shipping.""

Jeff

Hello guys just acquired a bird meter which elements is best for cb radios I’m just starting out with this meter
I have the 43P with the PEP kit installed by the manufacturer and a few elements. You have to pay attention when using the battery operated PEP function, because if you forget to turn the PEP function off, after you have checked your PEP, those batteries won't last too long and then the PEP reading will not be accurate.
I also have the Bird Model 4410A with the 4410-4 element. I like this unit because only one element is required and it has a "battery check" feature.

And used slugs are really a crap shoot since it is easy to find videos on the web that show how to open and " recalibrate " slugs.

""We offer a bird slug tune up service.
Is your bird meter reading to low?
We can fix that for you, for $57.37 plus shipping.""

Jeff
I have watched numerous videos of radio shops using Bird meters when checking RF power output and PEP readings. I noticed the needle on the meter was pegged-out way above the max on many videos before the tech realized that the wrong element was being used. How many times can an element be "overworked" before it is out of calibration and when and how would you know?

the Bird type 43 wattmeter elements ("slugs") do have a calibration adjustment, but it is done at the factory. The trimmer is located underneath the "frequency range & power" label, which is glued to the top of the element. This adjustment is done once at the factory, and unless one of the components inside the element has been damaged, does not need adjustment.

When I worked in the Lab, our test equipment was sent out to have the device calibrated at regular intervals.
Came back with a dated sticker and a spec sheet with all the test data.
I would bet that the majority of users ( shops ) have never sent such equipment for service.
And, most meters, have a % of error , I believe the bird is +/- 10% of the full scale reading.

Jeff

the Bird type 43 wattmeter elements ("slugs") do have a calibration adjustment, but it is done at the factory. The trimmer is located underneath the "frequency range & power" label, which is glued to the top of the element. This adjustment is done once at the factory, and unless one of the components inside the element has been damaged, does not need adjustment.
If and when the needle on the meter goes beyond the far right of the scale, will that damage the element or damage the meter and have a negative impact on the accuracy of the meter?

Yes, it is set when it leaves the factory.

I said used.

I have no doubt that unscrupulous users have no issue with tampering with a slug to make there work look like it is producing magic watt readings.

Jeff

When I worked in the Lab, our test equipment was sent out to have the device calibrated at regular intervals.
Came back with a dated sticker and a spec sheet with all the test data.
I would bet that the majority of users ( shops ) have never sent such equipment for service.
And, most meters, have a % of error , I believe the bird is +/- 10% of the full scale reading.

Jeff
I always keep the elements which are not being used in the protective plastic sleeves. . My curiosity question is how accurate are the elements and meters after the needle has been pegged-out several times? My Bird meters are two years old and have not been returned for calibration, but the meters never leave my home I am the only person who inserts and removes the elements. Within the past two years I have purchased several new CB and 10 meter radios from different radio shops in which I paid for "alignment and tune" and minor increase in the RF power output. Only one out of seven radios RF power output matched the watts of my two Bird meters.

Within the past two years I have purchased several new CB and 10 meter radios from different radio shops in which I paid for "alignment and tune" and minor increase in the RF power output. Only one out of seven radios RF power output matched the watts of my two Bird meters.

This is my point here.

As for pinning the needle in the corner....
I can not say that pinning the meter will damage it.
If your slugs were bought new and are properly stored and used they should be fine.
My OP was
Buying used slugs is a crap shoot.

Jeff

Reactions: Ranch55

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.