• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird reflect watts

You're going to get all kinds of answers on this one, but if you keep your reverse reading to 10% or less of your forward reading, your SWR will be less than 2 to 1.

Rich

Please notice that I said: 10%, or less. Even with 10% reflected, you are under 2 to 1 SWR and your finals will work fine there. Depending upon the feedline that you are using and the length of the run, you will still be radiating 98%, or better, of your power. Using a 25mW slug to tune your antenna, is an act of futility and will not result in a measurable signal increase at the receiving station.

Rich

It also depends on how hard your running your equipment if your running 12 volts you can get away with more reflect. Now if your running 19-20 volts you want it very low. I don't mind 1-2% on 12-15 volts but when volted 18+ I try to keep everything around a 1/2%. 10% reflect at 20 volts will more than likely lead to blown transistors in a hurry!

highroller said:
It also depends on how hard your running your equipment if your running 12 volts you can get away with more reflect. Now if your running 19-20 volts you want it very low. I don't mind 1-2% on 12-15 volts but when volted 18+ I try to keep everything around a 1/2%. 10% reflect at 20 volts will more than likely lead to blown transistors in a hurry!

Davemade and Xforce claim that 2% reflect MAXIMUM is acceptable when running 18-20 volts.

Skyscraper said:
What is an acceptable percentage of watts coming back to deakey watts? What do you have?

If you are running a stock amp like a Texas Star you want 10% or less reflect.......10% maximum!!!
If you are running a competition amp on 14-15 volts......4% or less reflect.
If you are running a comp amp on 18-20 volts you want less than 2% reflect...preferably none.
I have 3% reflect but I run 14 volts. I could get it down if I work at it but I'm lazy.

what you want with an amp is 2 percent or less. i use a 5 w and a 25 w slug for reflect testing with the amps on. a 1 w would be good for the 1x4 but the 5 w is just right to test with the 16 on.

tune to the lowest you can on the channel you want to be centered on. but then also balance it across the band. either way should get you to the best point.

bighammer said:
what you want with an amp is 2 percent or less. i use a 5 w and a 25 w slug for reflect testing with the amps on. a 1 w would be good for the 1x4 but the 5 w is just right to test with the 16 on.

tune to the lowest you can on the channel you want to be centered on. but then also balance it across the band. either way should get you to the best point.

You can run a Texas Star with 10% reflect until the paint burns of the heat sink and it'll survive. The amount of reflect that an amp can handle safely depends on the type of amp.

yes texas stars , palamars and such are more durable. but if you want to run a comp box,even if in the future tune for the best you can. reguardless of the box a better tuned antenna will always work out best in the end.

oh i never answered one of his main questions. you asked what do i have

2x8 in the work truck with ladder racks and 3 ladders. 400 w dk to 1000 rms. 1.4 to 3.2 reflection

personal truck. 1x4x16 1500 dk to 4000 rms under 1 w dk to 1.6 w full modulated

bighammer said:

A lot of nonsense being spoken.....especially the part about checking reflect on a 16 pill with a 5 watt slug. :shock: :roll:

ok dr brain damage. why dont you laborate whats silly about checking reflection witha 5 w slug.

lets see.... you cant use less since modulated it will be more then 1 w. a 25 w slug wouldnt be acurate enough.

also my percentage of reflection at full modulation at 4000 bird out is .0004 percent which is 1.6 watts.

next dumb inexperienced comment psycho??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: