• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird RF Watt Meter Questions

Seems like the thread drifted a bit, but for posterity's sake, I did the watt meter evaluation recently and went with:

lp100

When the meter on my MFJ 989D reads 1.0 - the LP-100A is still showing 1.2, and with the LP100A I can dial it right in with confidence that I am seeing a good reading.

Thats a nice looking meter there HR. :D

Sorry this thread drifted so much but just to update my meter/amp status......

Ive been pissed off for the past week or so (since getting my amp back from Carl) and to be honest had lost any interest I had in messing with my base at all. I decided today to get back in there and hook everything back up and give it another shot. After hooking everything back up no difference. Dead key on radio SWR was 3.0 on meter and 3.0 on radio. When audio was introduced to the mic the radio SWR went high off the scale lighting the radios high SWR warning light and the external meters SWR went from 3.0 down to 1.0. I have never seen a SWR meter swing in reverse. I called Carl and confronted him with the information EXIT THIRTEEN had posted about the "boogering" inside the amp. He didnt argue a bit and offered to send me out a brand new amp today. He instructed me to just put my old amp back in the new amps box and ship it back to him once I recieve the new amp. Hopefully this will solve my problems. All I want to do is talk on the radio. So far this hobby has been nothing but a pain in the ass and a bunch of down time. Its got to get better than this.

It was that kind of hocus pocus that made me go with an Ameritron.

They have their issues, but I think the fundamental design is a step above the CB type amps.

For instance - int he event there is a mismatch between the radio and the amp, there is an adjustment to dial in the SWR for the band you are on.

More $$$$ though . . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.